Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Only School I Know That Does This.......

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 57 Replies

Years ago our school had issues with lunch because they share the cafeteria and gym.  The kids use to get their lunch and then walk all the way back to class to eat.  We (parents) were told they don't use to the cafeteria because they didn't have enough lunch tables and the PE teacher needed it for class.

It was so bad one day my son only got 4 minutes for lunch.  Fast forward, 2 years ago, the PTSA/parents raised enough money, picked up and delivered all the tables they needed.  Fast forward, the kids loved eating in the cafeteria for the next few years.

Today, I found out from my daughter they have moved back to the way they use to do it.  My daughter was to talk all the way from a portable, through the school, wait for the hot lunch kids to get their lunch (she brings her lunch) and then go all the way back to class. I asked how much time she got to eat, but she couldn't remember.  

The original reason us parents brought it up years ago was that the kids were rushing to eat, but couldn't finish their lunch, not even half of it.

Ugg.......

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Yes this is a pain.   It is a BS reason in my eyes since our cafeteria shares space with the PE classes as well and when we recieved a whole grade of 1st graders (75 extra students) everyone was still able to eat in the cafeteria and everyone still had their PE class.  It was a bit chaotic yes but very doable.

GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

They are saying its because they have too many students and so the PE coach needs it longer.  How many students in your school?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes this is a pain.   It is a BS reason in my eyes since our cafeteria shares space with the PE classes as well and when we recieved a whole grade of 1st graders (75 extra students) everyone was still able to eat in the cafeteria and everyone still had their PE class.  It was a bit chaotic yes but very doable.

peregrinus
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd have issues with that for sanitary reasons. Gross. Maybe report it to DHEC
GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I think its gross too.  The carpets are so old, the janitors won't dry clean them anymore.  Not to mention, they have to carry the food outside (from one building to another).  My daughter brings her lunch.  I think it isn't fair that she has to wait in line outside the cafeteria until hot lunch students get their lunches and then walk back with them.  When they use the cafeteria, they get to go inside and begin eating their lunch without waiting for the other students.

Quoting peregrinus:

I'd have issues with that for sanitary reasons. Gross. Maybe report it to DHEC

shiningjoy
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

My daughters old school was both, but they didn't have PE during lunch time.  I think kids are rushed to much as it is during lunch time and it leads to bad eating habbits.  My biggest problem with it being both was when they didn't pick up the tables for gym and they were playing dodge ball.  my daughter tripped and her mouth stopped her fall on the table.  Needless to say it was a trip to the ER, broken teeth, and a huge mess.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Luckily we have a gym to use in our elementary school, otherwise the kids would have to eat in their classrooms as well.  There are 6-7 PE classes per day at our school and lunch is served for a little more than 2 hours.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM
That's just ridiculous. My elementary school had a gym/cafeteria combo as well and never had an issue with this. When lunch was done the tables were folded and pushed back up onto the walls.
Do the other parents know what is going on?
GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I have big issues with rushing kids to eat.  My daughter had eating issues several years ago and didn't gain any weight for 2 years and got very sick from being so thin.  She was also getting dehydrated.  I begged the teacher to allow her to have a water bottle and she said it was against school policy.  I told her I can make her drink at home, but she is at school 6 hours a day.  I couldn't believe I had to threaten to get a note from her doctor for WATER.

Luckily, she brought it up at a staff meeting and they changed the water policy.  Now my daughter takes a 24 oz water bottle with her every day.

Quoting shiningjoy:

My daughters old school was both, but they didn't have PE during lunch time.  I think kids are rushed to much as it is during lunch time and it leads to bad eating habbits.  My biggest problem with it being both was when they didn't pick up the tables for gym and they were playing dodge ball.  my daughter tripped and her mouth stopped her fall on the table.  Needless to say it was a trip to the ER, broken teeth, and a huge mess.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Our cafeteria and gym are one and the same but they make the schedule work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It swelled to 600 students,normally about 500 students.  The gym was cut in half and i am sure in the nicer days, everyone ate at the pavilion outside.   It took alot of patience on all parts when PE class was going on during lunch on other half.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

They are saying its because they have too many students and so the PE coach needs it longer.  How many students in your school?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN