Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Super sensitive 6 year old

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have a super sensative 6 year old. He literally cried because his bread was taking to long to defrost and he thought his sister was lying that it was still frozen and not ready for his sandwich today. This is an ongoing issue; I like that he is sesative, but I have to tone him down some how. Any one have any advise?

BTW he just turned 6, and is 86lbs and 4'1", he is a beast of a little boy. He loves hugs and kisses and likes nothing better then being right under Mommy.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Truluv4ever
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
My daughter is 7 and she is just like that! You're not alone. I talked to the doctor about it and I have bought a few books to learn more about hyper sensitive kids. I have learned a lot of tips and trucks for dealing with these issues better and to help my daughter! My daughter also has sensory issues, these books have helped with that top. I wish you lots of luck & if you need the book titles just let me know, you may be able to find helpful books online or your library. Hugs~
Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Book titles would be wonderful please. I love my little boy, but I forsee problems down the road if he can toughen his skin a bit.

Thanks in advance

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

HOLY CRAP that is big for a childs weight.  I would talk to his doctor though about seeing a child behaviorist so you can help him adapt to situations w/o ruining his sensitivity to things.   My dd is 7 and is good at crocodile tears.  She has sensory issues as well so certain aspects of life can throw her into a meltdown.

Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Honestly, I am not even sure if I would classify his "bug outs" as melt downs. When it happens you can tell he is genuinly hurt to the core, like he feels his very exsistance is questioned. I hate seeing it, it hurts my feelings as his Mom to see him so unsure of himself. 

Granted he does the croc tear thing too, I call it "putting on a show". This is very different from his bug outs. I will see about taking him to a behaviorist though, I hadn't thought about that. I just truly fear that he will be seen almost like charector John Coffey, from the movie The Green Mile, but with out the developmental delays.

Thanks for the tip

Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Thank you!!!

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Wow my 6 yr old is 4'2 and barely 50 pounds and hes one muscular athletic kid. My son was exactly like this before we put him in wrestling, yep I thought it was ok. Dh not so much and honestly wsnt working well for his friends either. He would cry if kids werent playing fair or if someone lied. Since doing a year of wrestling he has changed, he still likes to hug and cuddle butmdoesnt whine or cry. A sport like wrestling where no one else is accountable but you makes you toughen up. Its best for him in the long run because now he stands up for himself and im not worried about him being bully.
marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Quoting Choclotize:

Honestly, I am not even sure if I would classify his "bug outs" as melt downs. When it happens you can tell he is genuinly hurt to the core, like he feels his very exsistance is questioned. I hate seeing it, it hurts my feelings as his Mom to see him so unsure of himself. 

Granted he does the croc tear thing too, I call it "putting on a show". This is very different from his bug outs. I will see about taking him to a behaviorist though, I hadn't thought about that. I just truly fear that he will be seen almost like charector John Coffey, from the movie The Green Mile, but with out the developmental delays.

Thanks for the tip

For real though its nice for us as moms that our sons can be sensitive. But it WILL cause problems in the future.....the green mile guys gets framed because he wouldnt stand up for himself ;). At his size its gonna be worse as you got little d@ck head bullys who will pick on the big sensitive kid to make him cry. If he is still crying about things in school it will be horrible for him. He needs to toughen up, put him in karate or something so he learns to control his emotions. I would definitely check out wrestling if u have amprogram near you at his size and weight he would be a beast and build confidence very quickly.

AmiJanell
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I think I would work on him with more appropriate responses to certain situations...  I would talk though situations that cause the melt down and see if it could be handled in a better way than crying. 

My son is 5... and sure, he cries sometimes... but if he's being irrational... then we ask him to dry his tears and we talk about it.  So... with the bread we might tell him to try his tears and lets go look at the bread... we would point out that it was still frozen and that a frozen sandwich wouldn't be very tasty! Maybe he was crying because he was hungry... and not so much about the bread... in which case we would offer maybe an apple or something to tide him over. 

Some kids don't deal with change or the unexpected very well... but that means they need to be given the tools to cope and not have a melt down. I would work more on talking through situations that you know are stressful for him. Talk about how it makes him feel when those things happen... and what things he can do to either change it or make things feel better. 

I would also make not of if they he gets more upset during certain times of the day... is he over stimulated? low blood sugar? Over tired?.... we know that if my son is tired or  hungry he does not cope well to even minor stressors sometimes... like he may cry over a simple question as to how his day was! Really!?  Usually if he's given something to eat, within a half hour he's a whole new kid. 

Fluffy40
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

OMG!  He sounds exactly like my son, even the size!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)