Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

no snacks at school?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 74 Replies
I see on here all the time about lack of eating time at school and some schools with no snack time. Is this true for most of your kids?

What grade are they in and what time is lunch and snack time if they have one?

My kids are sk and grade 6 2 different schools.

School starts at 8:30am first nutrition break 9:30am lunch 11:30am second nutrition break 1:30pm schools out at 2:45pm for my sk DD and 3:05pm for my grade 6 DD.

Our school board believes kids function better with frequent nutritional snacks plus their lunches. Helps kids focus better and controls outburst from kids who are just hungry.

Plus they can eat in class or drink in class whenever they want too. It is not discouraged at all.

Do you think your kids would function better at school with nutrition breaks? Or do you prefer no snacks for your kids.

This nutrition break is for kids k-8. All schools in our city.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Bump
meam4444
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

My girls have a morning snack.  I know they appreciate it. Sometimes the morning is a big rush and they have a hard time focusing on eating their breakfast, so it is just a little more pick-me-up for them while at school before their lunch time.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

They have lunch at  11:20 and then a snack at about 2:15 they get out at 2:55 and start at 8:30 my daughter is in first grade.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
My dd gets brekfast at 9, lunch at 11, and leaves school at 3:16.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Do you think that 4 hour gap is too long without even a small.snack?

I personally do.

Quoting Dodie702:

My dd gets brekfast at 9, lunch at 11, and leaves school at 3:16.
momager2two
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Dd (age 6) has breakfast at 7am, lunch at 11 and then a snack when she gets home at 2:30. My other dd (4) has breakfast at 7, snack at 8:45, lunch at 11:55 and a snack when i pick her up at 1:30.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I think some of our grades do.  Last year 1st grade did not though all the grades allow water bottles with lids to be at teh children's desk.   This year in 2nd grade, her teacher has on the schedule a morning snack break right after the first recess.   Kindergarten we all had to help supply snacks, now we just supply our own.

Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Our school is prek-6 and all grades get a snack.  Prek eats lunch around 12, so they get both a morning and pm snack.  k-2 has snack at 10:05 and lunch at 12:27, while 3-6 has snack at 10:05 and lunch at 12:52.  We arrive at school at 8:05 and dismiss at 3:15.  

As both a parent and teacher, I love that they have snack.  It's a long day without, and I like to have my snack too.  Also it gives a brief break for them to socially connect, talk, whatever...important so they can focus more on learning and being quiet in class.  Also all grades have recess, which is nice because they need to break free and be kids.  Esp. with gym being only 2 days a week.

SaraBethKY
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM

When I taught middle school math last year we had a set snack time, however, if a student was still eating when they came to my room afterward I didn't care. I also let kids in my afternoon classes eat if they had something with them. I ate when I was hungry so I let them as well. 

Same thing when I taught elementary, I let them eat when they were hungry as long as it didn't interfere with what we were doing in the room at the time. 

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

My kids have a.m. snack around 10 a.m.  My 1st grader has lunch at 11:55 and my 4th grader has lunch at 12:25.  They get home at 3:40 and they immediately sit down to a snack.  I wish they had a mid afternoon snack too! 

ETA - we just moved one county over this past summer - their schools in the other county did NOT allow snack time so I'm thrilled they get the a.m. snack in the new county.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)