Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Involved Are You?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 108 Replies

So, exactly how involved are you with your child's school?

I have went to a few PTO meetings, but think that's a little more than I want to dive into right now! I did sign up to assist as a room mom and am very excited about that went to our first room mom meeting and think this will work out a lot better for me.

One of the kids in DDs class mom is like crazy into it she has 3 girls at the school and a 2 yr old and she is at the school doing something almost every day most of the day. I feel, for me, that is too involved. 

I want to be involved enough to where I know what is going on, but not using all my spare time there I have a two year old also who would love to see her mommy! 

How involved are you at your child's school?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I am one of the crazy involved ones.  Today was the first day that I wasn't at school in 2 weeks. 

I am our PTA President and a room mom, but then again you have to be very involved in PTA to be a room mom at our school since all volunteering goes through PTA.

This is also how I know so much about what goes on in school.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Very, lol!

I volunteered as room mom (for either room..or both...I'm good with either), I'm co-leader for my oldest DD's Daisy troop, I joined the PTA and have volunteered for a few events already, and I am a lunch monitor there :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm chair of a PTO program which in a busy month takes about 4 hours. I've been a head room mom for years. I also work full time but have been able to go on some field trips (DH has gone on a few) and be in the class if needed.

Being a room mom is a great way to be involved but not overwhelmed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Not very since I'm a teacher at a different school and have my own stuff to do.

family in the van   Mom of four

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM

hahah that is cool. the PTO (which is the same thing as PTA) does tell teh room moms what to do you do NOT have to be involved in both to do them. However some of the moms are both, but I can't be at the school every day I have my own classroom to run (I'm a PREschool teacher) 

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am one of the crazy involved ones.  Today was the first day that I wasn't at school in 2 weeks. 

I am our PTA President and a room mom, but then again you have to be very involved in PTA to be a room mom at our school since all volunteering goes through PTA.

This is also how I know so much about what goes on in school.

MommyMica
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

My DD is in Kindergarten, so this is our first year at school full-time. I have joined the PTA and I am looking forward to my first meeting coming up, I am also a class room mom and make it a point to have face-to-face interaction with her teacher at least once a week. I also plan on volunteering in other upcoming events and functions at the school as well. I do believe that my involvement is essential to her growth and success at the school. I can't exactly expect the teachers, staff and administators to care if I don't!

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM

yeah I might dip in the pond more as I grow more with the school and learn what I can and cannot do Kindergarten is kind of a transition year between nothing to something I don't want to overload. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm chair of a PTO program which in a busy month takes about 4 hours. I've been a head room mom for years. I also work full time but have been able to go on some field trips (DH has gone on a few) and be in the class if needed.

Being a room is a great way to be involved but not overwhelmed.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I work full time but I feel like I am involved enough for my kids. I donate items, I am part of the music boosters and I go on all field trips. I volunteer for after school activities or dances. My DH and I coach the kids lacrosse teams.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I totally get it. I started small and as I felt more comfortable, I branched out more. DS is in middle school nowand they don't seem to need volunteers very often.

Quoting mommy053008:

yeah I might dip in the pond more as I grow more with the school and learn what I can and cannot do Kindergarten is kind of a transition year between nothing to something I don't want to overload. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Being a room is a great way to be involved but not overwhelmed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I am not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)