Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, exactly how involved are you with your child's school?

I have went to a few PTO meetings, but think that's a little more than I want to dive into right now! I did sign up to assist as a room mom and am very excited about that went to our first room mom meeting and think this will work out a lot better for me.

One of the kids in DDs class mom is like crazy into it she has 3 girls at the school and a 2 yr old and she is at the school doing something almost every day most of the day. I feel, for me, that is too involved. 

I want to be involved enough to where I know what is going on, but not using all my spare time there I have a two year old also who would love to see her mommy! 

How involved are you at your child's school?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Replies (101-108):
mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Yea that's the way our PTO is can be a member whether you come to the meetings or not.

Quoting baileymarie723:

Not at all. With my job I can't do anything they need volunteers for. I wanted to join the PTA, but the meetings were always when I was still at work. The meetings aren't required, but I don't see the point in being a member if I'm not going to the meetings and giving my input. I am however involved in my daughter's education. When a meeting comes up for her IEPs or things like that I talk to them about times that work for me, and they work with me if possible.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm involved on a day to day level.  I help ds with his homework (or at least make certain that he's doing it and understands what he's doing) and keep in regular contact with his teachers.  I try to go on as many field trips, presentations, and parties as possible.  

I'm not involved with the PTA, though I try to keep abreast of what's going on in the school.  This year I should be able to help out more at the special events when they ask for parent volunteers since dd will be in school all day as well.

Happymom0301
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

At all? Why?

Quoting mrsary:

I am not.

sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I just finished up a 2 year board position for our PTO.  I volunteer as much as I can with field trips and in October I usually server ice cream to the birthday students.  In the spring, I had been involved with our carnival night, but will probably give that up this year to actually be with my dd.  Besides being a Girl Scout leader for my dd's troop, I don't have much time with working to be in the classroom.

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the first year I have worked full-time since the kids started school so my involvement will go down a little, but not too much. I plan on helping with all class parties for both kids and I will go on all field trips as well. I also plan on helping with carnival night and any other school events that fit into my schedule. I feel that being involved is my job as a parent. I cannot do parent group meetings due to scheduling conflicts, but I still stay connected.

ScrChk23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I joined the PTO last week.  This is his first year so there isn;t too much to do yet.  I have also let his teacher know that I can help with parties and classroom events.

MsLogansMommy
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:27 AM

I help my dd with homework, read absolutely every single piece of paper sent home from the school and stay updated on what is going on. I attend parent teacher conferences and back to school night as well as open house. We attend several most afterschool events. I am in constant contact with my dd teacher. I read to her every night and listen as she reads to me. I work full time so I am unable to volunteer but I didn't volunteer last year when I wasn't working because I know my presence would be very distracting for my dd. I usually purchase whatever the fundraiser is as well as school pictures and clothes with school logo on it and I participate in box tops and scrips. I may become more involved later on because I do feel it is important. 

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM
That's awesome staying involved anyway is great

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

I help my dd with homework, read absolutely every single piece of paper sent home from the school and stay updated on what is going on. I attend parent teacher conferences and back to school night as well as open house. We attend several most afterschool events. I am in constant contact with my dd teacher. I read to her every night and listen as she reads to me. I work full time so I am unable to volunteer but I didn't volunteer last year when I wasn't working because I know my presence would be very distracting for my dd. I usually purchase whatever the fundraiser is as well as school pictures and clothes with school logo on it and I participate in box tops and scrips. I may become more involved later on because I do feel it is important. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN