Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, exactly how involved are you with your child's school?

I have went to a few PTO meetings, but think that's a little more than I want to dive into right now! I did sign up to assist as a room mom and am very excited about that went to our first room mom meeting and think this will work out a lot better for me.

One of the kids in DDs class mom is like crazy into it she has 3 girls at the school and a 2 yr old and she is at the school doing something almost every day most of the day. I feel, for me, that is too involved. 

I want to be involved enough to where I know what is going on, but not using all my spare time there I have a two year old also who would love to see her mommy! 

How involved are you at your child's school?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM
That's awesome most odnthe moms on the PTO have multiple kids there aren't any on the PTO who have just a k. I absolutely LOVE her teacher so want to stay involved and help out, but I don't want to overload myself, my two children, or forget abt my own classroom I run.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I totally get it. I started small and as I felt more comfortable, I branched out more. DS is in middle school nowand they don't seem to need volunteers very often.

Quoting mommy053008:

yeah I might dip in the pond more as I grow more with the school and learn what I can and cannot do Kindergarten is kind of a transition year between nothing to something I don't want to overload. 

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm chair of a PTO program which in a busy month takes about 4 hours. I've been a head room mom for years. I also work full time but have been able to go on some field trips (DH has gone on a few) and be in the class if needed.

Being a room is a great way to be involved but not overwhelmed.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Do you volunteer at all?

Quoting mrsary:

I am not.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

After last year I am more involved than I want to be..... the president drove me to the point of resgining as secretary after YEARS of telling people to join.... I appologized to tehm all.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM
What happened?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

After last year I am more involved than I want to be..... the president drove me to the point of resgining as secretary after YEARS of telling people to join.... I appologized to tehm all.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually PTA and PTO are NOT the same thing.  Do a little research and you would know that.

Yes, I also work and I also have my own classroom as well, but I make time to be at the school because it is important to me.  Are you really a teacher with a teaching degree or are you one of those who call themselves a teacher just because they work in a preschool/day care?

Quoting mommy053008:

hahah that is cool. the PTO (which is the same thing as PTA) does tell teh room moms what to do you do NOT have to be involved in both to do them. However some of the moms are both, but I can't be at the school every day I have my own classroom to run (I'm a PREschool teacher) 

Quoting steelcrazy:

I am one of the crazy involved ones.  Today was the first day that I wasn't at school in 2 weeks. 

I am our PTA President and a room mom, but then again you have to be very involved in PTA to be a room mom at our school since all volunteering goes through PTA.

This is also how I know so much about what goes on in school.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

A lot of running around in circles. It would seem that a decision would get made, and then they would circle around and "decide to explore it more." They cut a TON of programs that we did: Character Education Luncheons (that tied into the school character ed stuff) where we would do something speical during lunch for the kids 6 times a year.....

Our fall family fun day.... $3 per person to go to a local farm get pumpkins and apples... suddenly became a fundraiser because we take the money adn give it in one sum to the farm with a head count... and we need to do 3 free programs for every time we take in money.... so they got rid of it. 

but getting them to see all the little things we do add up, was not working. 

I was leaving the PTA meetings and coming home for a glass of wine and I am NOT a drinker.

We want your experince (I have been a parent in the elementary since 2000) but they blow off everything said. 

Quoting mommy053008:

What happened?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM
No. I plan to when all of my kids are school age and I am not chasing toddlers/preschoolers everywhere I go.

Quoting mommy053008:

Do you volunteer at all?

Quoting mrsary:

I am not.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Its not a daycare I work at its a moms day out program and yes I have a degree. I chose not to work as a FT teacher til my children are both in school. However I love my classroom, my job and my students.

We don't have a PTA at my daughters school there are PTOs and PTLs (which are room moms).

I love being involved with my child's school, but with a 2 year old and my own classroom to run it makes it impossible for me to join PTO as most of their meetings are during the day and the activities are during the day. However I am scheduled to work their carnival which is through our PTO. I did tell the head of the PTO to contact me if she needed help with anything but I am in no position to run anything.

Quoting steelcrazy: Actually PTA and PTO are NOT the same thing.  Do a little research and you would know that.
Yes, I also work and I also have my own classroom as well, but I make time to be at the school because it is important to me.  Are you really a teacher with a teaching degree or are you one of those who call themselves a teacher just because they work in a preschool/day care?
Quoting mommy053008:

hahah that is cool. the PTO (which is the same thing as PTA) does tell teh room moms what to do you do NOT have to be involved in both to do them. However some of the moms are both, but I can't be at the school every day I have my own classroom to run (I'm a PREschool teacher) 
Quoting steelcrazy:
 I am one of the crazy involved ones.  Today was the first day that I wasn't at school in 2 weeks. 
I am our PTA President and a room mom, but then again you have to be very involved in PTA to be a room mom at our school since all volunteering goes through PTA.
This is also how I know so much about what goes on in school.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I hear that!

Quoting mrsary:

No. I plan to when all of my kids are school age and I am not chasing toddlers/preschoolers everywhere I go.

Quoting mommy053008:

Do you volunteer at all?

Quoting mrsary:

I am not.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:54 PM
That is CRAZY! Really! Ugh if you came home.drinking I'd have stepped down also.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

A lot of running around in circles. It would seem that a decision would get made, and then they would circle around and "decide to explore it more." They cut a TON of programs that we did: Character Education Luncheons (that tied into the school character ed stuff) where we would do something speical during lunch for the kids 6 times a year.....

Our fall family fun day.... $3 per person to go to a local farm get pumpkins and apples... suddenly became a fundraiser because we take the money adn give it in one sum to the farm with a head count... and we need to do 3 free programs for every time we take in money.... so they got rid of it. 

but getting them to see all the little things we do add up, was not working. 

I was leaving the PTA meetings and coming home for a glass of wine and I am NOT a drinker.

We want your experince (I have been a parent in the elementary since 2000) but they blow off everything said. 

Quoting mommy053008:

What happened?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)