Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So, exactly how involved are you with your child's school?

I have went to a few PTO meetings, but think that's a little more than I want to dive into right now! I did sign up to assist as a room mom and am very excited about that went to our first room mom meeting and think this will work out a lot better for me.

One of the kids in DDs class mom is like crazy into it she has 3 girls at the school and a 2 yr old and she is at the school doing something almost every day most of the day. I feel, for me, that is too involved. 

I want to be involved enough to where I know what is going on, but not using all my spare time there I have a two year old also who would love to see her mommy! 

How involved are you at your child's school?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Replies (31-40):
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing yet, though I have volunteered my services. They might not do anything like that, not sure. I communicate with the teachers regularly.
Mrs.Velasquez
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Thanks! I'm getting there.

Quoting mommy053008:

Hope you get better.

Quoting Mrs.Velasquez:

As of right now, not involved. I am still recovering from a broken ankle as a result of a car accident we were in 12 weeks ago. I am in a wheeled chair and not walking yet. I would love to be, but I have to take care of myself first. I don't like doing things half assed.

I also have a 20 month old.

I was involved when my daughter was in Headstart.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Last year I was in my son's classroom helping out one morning a week and loved it--I helped a little bit during his first grade year, but not with any consistency because I only had 2 mornings a week (and had other things to do!)  I plan to help as much as possible this year with my youngest son in his kindergarten class, but I'm still waiting for the official word that I passed the background check--that's new this year so no one really knows what's going on!  I don't help that much school-wide; I attend a few PTA meetings during the year, but have never been very involved with anything outside of meetings.  I will try this year (with both boys in school I'll have more time) but not sure with what yet...

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Being that I homeschool..totally involved...

I am also box top coordinator for the charter school that we use.

DD goes all day Monday and is home the other 4 days.
The boys go only go 1 hour a day 2x a week for literature.
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
At least one of us attends each school function. Both of us make sure to attend conferences, curriculum night, and back to school night. Last year we both picked events to volunteer at based on our interests. I'd say that we were average to slightly above average in our involvement.
mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
That's good :-) we are both going to they and attend all p/t conferences.

Quoting ddhb2007:

At least one of us attends each school function. Both of us make sure to attend conferences, curriculum night, and back to school night. Last year we both picked events to volunteer at based on our interests. I'd say that we were average to slightly above average in our involvement.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Not very. I work full-time so my availability isn't always open. They don't go on field trips so no parents are needed for that. There aren't any room moms. I go to any events that we're told about ahead of time. They're really bad about sending a note home two days before an event and by then it's too late to request off of work.

I am a team mom for football and help out wherever they need me.
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
IDK yet. LOL. School just started Tuesday.

I'll be as involved as they'll let me.
I'm planning on joining the PTA but we will see how it goes. I'm not trying to be negative, but me and the PTA president do not get along, plus I homeschooled last year and a lot of people ( AKA-Miss PTA president, just graduated and is now a sub teacher) are really anti-homeschool no matter what.

I also have a 2 year old, who definitely has her own personally. LOL. She's not going to sit while I do something. She'll be in the hall trying to find big brother(s) or doing her own thing three classrooms down..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I am very involved, there almost everyday. School doesnt start til monday here but I have already been in the school all day today and will be there sunday also. Last year I was PTA vice-president. This year I was planning on not doing PTA because its gets to be a lot but since no one else is stepping up I'm going to be forced to do it again. The only reason why I have to be there so much is because parents don't help, they complain but they don't help with anything.
AmiJanell
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I'm not really... I leave that to my husband because he teaches at the same school my son attends... the school itself isn't near us, it's 20 miles away going into the city (so 30+ min drive depending on traffic).. so like I said, it's easier for my husband to do most things.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)