Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergarten teacher is an idiot

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 132 Replies

First day of kindergarten was yesterday, and my son, who has behavior problems was excited about starting. I was too. It turns out that the teacher gives out skittles candies to reinforce good behavior!!!  I sent the teacher an e-mail explaining that he cant have those  because the dye in them makes him completely out of control. Any candy does that to him. Even cinnaminn.  Today, the teacher gave out the candy to the kids everytime they did something positive.  Except to my son. She explained to him that his mom said no, so now he is the only one in the class who gets nothing.  Now he hates me and he hates school.  There is no "treat" that I can send to the school for him, because he has a bad reaction to all.  And, he doesnt want something different than the rest of the class!!!  You would think a kindergarten teacher would realize how important this is to a kid!!!

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Does he like stickers? That could be an alternative for the whole class instead of candies.   Have you tried to explain to him how dangerous it is for him to eat candies?  There has to be something out there treat wise but it would still be different than his friends.   Have you tried all natural fruit leathers that have no dye in them and minimal added sugar?  

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM
That is insane. We pass out stickers
alysG
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM
6 moms liked this

well You cant really expect the teacher to punish the rest of the kids because of something your son can't have. Why dont you ask her to give your son stickers instead... ?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
7 moms liked this
It is a really BAD habit to reward kids with food. Leads to obesity.
poietes
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Did you discuss any options with the teacher or did you just say "he cant have that"? What are your expectations to resolve this. Do you think none of the kids should have them since he can't? I dont want to sound rude but I was just curious on what you expected to happen.
jackiewal10
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Well....I wouldn't actually go so far as to say the teacher is an idiot.  She's following YOUR instructions.  This is something she does in her class, but your child can't participate.  BUT, I don't agree with it as a whole.  I don't think candy should be given out as a "reward" for good behavior.  Good behavior should be expected, not rewarded.  Reinforced with positive words?? Ok.

socalxbombshell
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My kids get erasers and pencils for good behavior. They love it.

Mommy0505
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The teacher can't leave him out because of dietary needs.  That's wrong and punishable in most public schools...

I'd be ticked she was giving candy on a regular basis...

She needs to get creative, but you could also come up with some suggestions...

stickers

pretzel sticks

beads (to fill a classroom jar so the entire class is working together on one larger treat at a later date)

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM
4 moms liked this
The teacher shouldn't give out candy. Maybe stickers but not junk food.
laura45234
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I'll tell you what i expect!!  This practise shouldnt be allowed in the first place.  Why cant all of the kids be given the same reward so one isnt left out!!  Something other than candy.  The teacher says she has always done this and it wouldnt be fair to the other kids to change it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN