Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need leftover/freezer dinner ideas. PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 17 Replies
Ok ladies I need your help. I usually have dinner ready before 6pm but I'm working until 5-5:30 so that won't be possible. I want to make meals that dh can heat up for Dd when he gets home,so I need ideas. I'm tired of cooking the same things. Rice,beans,meat that's like our menu almost every night. Dd loves mashed potatoes( if anyone can tell me how to make them from scratch even better LOL) so what are good leftovers dinner ideas? Thanks
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM
You really do not knowhow to make mashed potatoes? Peel potatoes boil till cooked and soft. Mash. Add salt, butter and thin with milk. Sometimes we add some sour cream too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I consider ground beef to be the busy mom's best friend. 

Brown 1lb beef, and can of mushroom soup, 1 can water, package onion soup mix, bring to a boil, add few cups pasta of choice, when pasta is almost ready add cup or two of frozen mixed veg. Add pepper to taste, NO salt though, there's plenty of that in the soup mixes. It's quick, easy and keeps well for leftovers the next day.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

WE love our spaghetti here.

Brown 1lb ground beef, add 1 chopped onion, 1 clove garlic, 1 each chopped red/green pepper (one boy doesn't care for peppers so I sometimes do the red pepper so fine that he can't "see" the pieces), can of mushrooms(drained),Tbsp chili powder, Tbsp oregano, tsp pepper, tsp salt, large can of diced tomatoes bring to a boil and let simmer for 1/2 hour, add one can tomato paste, simmer 10 more min.

This is easy to do on a weekend, I often double it.  Freeze it in meal size amounts.  When you get home, start warming the sauce, put a pot of water on, by the time your pasta is done the sauce is ready.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Do you have a crockpot?

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

do you have a crockpot? so many yummy healthy reciepes that can go in the crockpot and supper is ready come supper time. I could not survive with out it

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
That will be my first gift to myself lol.

Quoting Cindy18:

Do you have a crockpot?

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Beef skillet dinner (if you have a skillet big enough, I use a bigger pot)

Brown 1lb ground beef, one each chopped onion, red & green pepper, clove garlic, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Add one large can diced tomatoes, one large can red kidney beans, 2 cups of cooked rice (great way to use up the leftover rice) bring to a boil, simmer for 10 min.  Grate some cheese on top.

This also freezes beautifully (without the cheese).  We don't all care for cheese so I put a bowl of grated cheddar on the table and everyone who wants it can put in on themselves.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

email me for the reciepies, but some of the main dishes i have for crockpot are, Tex-mex beef wraps, slow cooker, Brisket of beef, Simply delicious pork, royal round steak, beef stroganoff, cheesy slow cooker chicken (with noodles), clow cooker chicken and rice, chicken parisienne, chicken and stuffing, aisan beef stew, black bean stuffed peppers, creole vegietables and chicken, turkey breast with baby cranberry stuffing, kick'n chili, cajun chicken and shrimp creole, cajun style country ribs, pork loin with sherry and red onions, cashew chicken, slow cooker pepper steak, shredded apricot pork sandwhiches, herbed artichoke chicken, bbq roast beef, italian style pot roast.

those are just the main dishes. I also have soups/stew, sweets, appitizers too. if you want the reciepe of any of them, just shoot me an IM

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I do crock pot meals. I'm not a fan of frozen meals from the freezer.
momager2two
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I use my crock pot a lot in the summer because in Florida it's just to hot to use the oven/stove every day. For potatoes, you can cook them in the microwave. Ours has a preset button that you push and then enter how many potatoes you are cooking. I take each potato and wash it off, poke holes in it with a fork, put some salt on the skin, loosely wrap it in a paper towel that's damp and pop them in the microwave. 4 potatoes take about 18 minutes I think. I cook a lot of chicken (either thin cut breast or tenderloin) because it cooks in about 20-25 min at 375 degrees in the oven.

My dh isn't a cook. But if I'm not home and dinner needs to be cooked, he can and will come up with something. Until you get a crockpot, look into simple 30 min meals for your dh to prepare. Pull the meat out to thaw before you leave for work and leave him the recipe and all dry ingredients on the counter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)