Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

First Month lesson plan

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have decided to homeschool for a year and this is the first month lesson plan the teacher I am working with worked out. Its not complete yet but what do you think? Normal for a grade 3 some are saying no...

September

Language Arts

Reading Log of Daily Reading (include, date, title of book, amount of time read)

Grammar: Daily Grams Lessons 1-15

Spelling: Spectrum Lessons 1-3

Penmanship: A Reason for Handwriting (2 lessons per week)

Composition/Creative Writing: Writing A-Z

(1 formal writing piece per week. May be integrated from across the curriculum).

Focus: personal narrative in a journal. Telling stories from your own life from an “I” point of view.

Speaking/Listening: Memory verse (1/week)

Math

Horizons Math Book 1 (Lessons 1-15)

Science

Materials and Structures

Social Studies

All About Canada

Fine Arts

Music: music making, music appreciation (listening and responding), music research

Visual Arts: chose from drawing/painting, sculpting/modelling, printmaking and building/assembling; appreciation; research

Drama: consisting of 1) taking on a role, 2) modulation of voice 3) performing for an audience 4) props or simple sets

Dance: dance performance, ethnic and world dance, dance appreciation, dance research

PE

Weekly log: date, activity, time spent on activity = 2 ½ hours of activity (or 30 min. per day)

Informal: 30 minutes of daily moderate to vigorous physical activity that develop endurance (cardio), strength (muscles dev.) and flexibility (stretches)

HCE

Goals and Decisions

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

There's really no way to say without knowing the texts mentioned. I have no idea what Horizons math is, so I can't say if it's appropriate or not. I will say that 15 lessons in a months seems like a slow pace.

What will your child learn about materials and structures? How will he demonstrate the learning?

There plans are very brief so it's just not clear what's actually going to be done. A month's worth of lessons plans in my class is 10-15 pages of information.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

There's really no way to say without knowing the texts mentioned. I have no idea what Horizons math is, so I can't say if it's appropriate or not. I will say that 15 lessons in a months seems like a slow pace.

What will your child learn about materials and structures? How will he demonstrate the learning?

There plans are very brief so it's just not clear what's actually going to be done. A month's worth of lessons plans in my class is 10-15 pages of information.

Horizons is the book I am using. One lesson is 2-4 pages long.  For the Stuctures he will do some book work then try try make things with house hold objects and then make it hold things...(eggs, so on)

Laurin283
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I teach grade 3 LA and SS.  In LA we use a textbook, not novel studies, so each week we read/review the story with comprehension questions, spelling list, grammar, literary devices (author's purpose, genres, etc), work on reading aloud, vocabulary, speaking/listening, and writing.

Hope that helps.  

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quoting Laurin283:

I teach grade 3 LA and SS.  In LA we use a textbook, not novel studies, so each week we read/review the story with comprehension questions, spelling list, grammar, literary devices (author's purpose, genres, etc), work on reading aloud, vocabulary, speaking/listening, and writing.

Hope that helps.  

I do have a spelling work book with activites and grammar with the same, he is suppose to do book reports too...I plan on doing dictionary work added to this, and sight words.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM
My lesson plans are two pages for a week. I agree that it's hard to tell if your plans are adequate or not.
SouthernMamaof1
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't homeschool, but my plans are extremely detailed. Plans for one week in my class is a minimum of two pages, and I only have subject to plan for. I'll spend hours on 1 week of planning.

Teaching~"Once you master the art of facing a room full of teenagers, and come out alive, you can do ANYTHING."

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

What you have listed here, to me, is more of an outline and not really lesson plans. 

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting mjande4:

What you have listed here, to me, is more of an outline and not really lesson plans. 

yeah I guess it is more of an outline...first time homeschooling...guess its like your first day teaching??

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really, because you go through a semester or more of classroom/curriculum experience BEFORE you teach on your own.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting mjande4:

yeah I guess it is more of an outline...first time homeschooling...guess its like your first day teaching??

JoanahLee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM

That looks super organized, and seems to cover the basics. 

I would add a time for your child to choose an activity that they are interested in and peruse it both on their own and with your help when needed.  One of the benefits of homeschooling is that your child is not boxed into learning only whats on the lesson plan and they can cultivate deep loves for various points of learning that are not addressed at all in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN