Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teacher yells a lot--what to do?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 66 Replies

A friend of mine told me that her daughter (she's in kindergarten or first, I think) is really upset over school. She says the teacher yells at them all day long. She breaks down crying quite a bit over this--something she's never done before. The teacher is right out of college. The girl in question isn't the one getting yelled at specifically and her behavior is fine. I've babysat her and there were no behavior issues at my house and her teachers in the past have never had discipline issues with her. So the teacher is either yelling at the whole class or yelling at specific kids. Either way, the girl is really having a hard time dealing with it.

She's trying to figure out how to handle this. Speak to the teacher directly? Speak to the pricipal? Try to get her in a different class?

Edit: For the record, it is very illegal to video record in the classroom. I know of one teacher who secretly recorded some events at school to try to get some bullying to be taken care of (her reports of bullying weren't being taken seriously) and a parent who videotaped the kids at her kid's jr high without permission. The teacher was fired, the mom got a restraining order against her. I definitely won't be passing along that advice!

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM
5 moms liked this
First, the mother needs to volunteer in the class and actually witness the "yelling". Some kids simply think being scolded is yelling. Without actually being in the class and hearing the teacher I wouldn't form an opinion. In addition, your friend's kid needs to grow some thicker skin.
Indiemom880
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I tend to believe her--she never had any issues in school before. She did preschool and day care before that and this is the first time that she has ever felt this way. But yeah, that might be a good idea.

Quoting mjande4:

First, the mother needs to volunteer in the class and actually witness the "yelling". Some kids simply think being scolded is yelling. Without actually being in the class and hearing the teacher I wouldn't form an opinion. In addition, your friend's kid needs to grow some thicker skin.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Kindergarten/elementary is VERY different then preschool/daycare. Your daughter 's kid may be used to all "butterflies and rainbows", but that's not reality. I'd be interested to know how your friend disciplines at home too. 

Quoting Indiemom880:

I tend to believe her--she never had any issues in school before. She did preschool and day care before that and this is the first time that she has ever felt this way. But yeah, that might be a good idea.

Quoting mjande4:

JoanahLee
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to the teacher first.  I remember being a scared and introverted fist grader who cried all evening because I was scared of my teacher who "yelled alot", but she never yelled.  She had an abrupt and loud voice and I was startled by it and not used to anyone but my mother who was soft spoken and never demanding. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree...she needs to see what's going on before telling the teacher to stop. Even the most honest kids don't get their stories totally right.

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMRios
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to go sit in the class one day...

happymommy1105
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I used to teach.  I have a naturally loud voice.  I always have.  I am not "yelling" per say I am just a loud person.  

I have had a couple of kids that were scared at first, til they figured out that's just how I talked.

I think there maybe more at play here than the teacher is "yelling".  maybe she is like me and is just loud and the child is used to quieter settings.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

In a class full of kids you have to be loud so they can hear you. For a Kindergartner this could seem like yelling.

The class sizes and pace of Kindergarten are very different from preschool. Some kids get freaked out by that. 

Quoting happymommy1105:

I used to teach.  I have a naturally loud voice.  I always have.  I am not "yelling" per say I am just a loud person.  

I have had a couple of kids that were scared at first, til they figured out that's just how I talked.

I think there maybe more at play here than the teacher is "yelling".  maybe she is like me and is just loud and the child is used to quieter settings.

IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM
They need to assess if its actually yelling. I'm a teacher and when I say my voice is loud, it's an understatement. I am a drama teacher who can silence 70 students in a theater with a simple "hey!"

I'm so loud that during computer based testing, I move my English classrooms to the theater, because I disturb the testing environment.

They might mention it to the teacher, and have her explain that her voice is loud.
mommy06and09
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I agree she needs to sit however the child may be right. I volunteered at ds school last year and their was one teacher who you could hear from halfway down the hallway. She directed it at students and was downright mean. I was so happy ds didn't have her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)