Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My kindergartener is in diapers because she needs them for a physical reason.

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter just started kindergarten and still wears diapers because she never was able to feel when her bladder was full or have physical control so since she was three she changed her own diapers and became responsible for her own diapers and she goes to school with extra absorbent diapers with clothing that is a little bigger than her size to hide the diaper and diaper swelling that would be knowticable at school especially in the front or back of the diaper when she pees. Also she chooses to wear diapers for her bladder problem and feels comfortable with it because no one can tell at school she wears diapers and when her diaper is wet she thinks it much better than dealing with wet pants and total embrassment from her control problem. Another thing is that her pediatrician gave her a full health exam and found that for sure she lacks the nerves in her nervous system to feel bladder fullness and the voluntary releasing of urine when the bladder is full; however, she has no mental or physical disabilities and is very smart and mature for her age.
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to be honest, I do not and would not recommend this.  She can and should make the teacher aware, however, the teacher won't be helping.  I guess the nurse might be able to, but it depends on what is written in the contracts.  Special needs teachers have a larger latitude, then regular education teachers.  You just can't take the chance of an accusation.  Teachers do NOT help with bathroom issues.

Quoting aj23:

I see nothing wrong with it but just make sure the teacher is aware of it so that she can help if it's needed.

I know here the bathrooms are in the classrooms for kindergarten so it would be very obvious if a diaper was changed in the bathroom and extra help would be need to keep it discrete. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Would her going to the bathroom every two hours help? I think as she gets older it may present a problem.
xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Could she not take bathroom breaks at pre-determined intervals? Is she incontinent, or just unable to tell when she has to go?

Quoting Supermom134:

Do any people feel that my daughter using a diaper for physical condition it's right or wrong? I'm just trying to do what I think is best for my child.
Supermom134
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
A 504 plan? The disability that my daughter has is not really a serious enough disability to affect her development mentally and physically other than bladder control which just means she needs a diaper but nothing else and she fits right along with the other students.
lish2127
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a boy in my DD's Kindergarten class that wears pull-ups. You do what you have to do. You might want to prepare her on how to handle it though if kids do find out.

aj23
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mean help to with the actual changing of the diaper (she said her daughter could do it on her own). There may be times she needs to go back to the classroom to get a diaper or to use a bathroom away from one the other kids are using to keep things discrete. For those types of things the teacher needs to know about it so that she can allow her to do what she needs to do in order to change without the other kids finding out.

Quoting mjande4:

I have to be honest, I do not and would not recommend this.  She can and should make the teacher award, however, the teacher won't be helping.  I guess the nurse might be able to, but it depends on what is written in the contracts.  Special needs teachers have a larger latitude, then regular education teachers.  You just can't take the chance of an accusation.  Teachers do NOT help with bathroom issues.

Quoting aj23:

I see nothing wrong with it but just make sure the teacher is aware of it so that she can help if it's needed.

I know here the bathrooms are in the classrooms for kindergarten so it would be very obvious if a diaper was changed in the bathroom and extra help would be need to keep it discrete. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Yep, because that could turn ugly fast.

Quoting lish2127:

There is a boy in my DD's Kindergarten class that wears pull-ups. You do what you have to do. You might want to prepare her on how to handle it though if kids do find out.

Supermom134
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM
My daughter is both incontinent when her bladder is full and cannot sense it. So as a result she just goes pee with out any feeling beforehand and no controll of the release; however her bladder is capable of the involuntary filling but not the voluntary release control because of no sensory and motors nerves present.
Supermom134
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
My daughter's doctor says that her bladder issue could be a life long challenge; however, I let her teacher know about the situation and my daughter has extra diapers in her backpack and she goes to the class bathroom and changes all by herself no involvement what so ever but the bathroom has complete privacy and the diaper disposal is no problem because there is large trash can with a lid.
karisma22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Your daughter does not have to have developmental disabilities or other physical issues.  I know someone who had a 504 because of her diabetes. She was allowed to take bathroom and snack breaks and had a little more time between classes when she was in middle and high school.  A 504 is something that you may want to consider, especially if this will be a long term issue.

Quoting Supermom134:

A 504 plan? The disability that my daughter has is not really a serious enough disability to affect her development mentally and physically other than bladder control which just means she needs a diaper but nothing else and she fits right along with the other students.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN