Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you...? *Edit

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

Get involved in your childs education? My son is in 1st grade and I haven't heard anything about PTA yet and we just moved to a small town... I was hoping to get more involved this year but am unsure where to start... any ideas???... (I was homeschooled until High School so I have no idea what parents can do to get involved)

*Thank you all for the good advice! I will be taking action tomorrow to see what I can do. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I would start by emailing the teacher and asking her.  Every school is different on what you have to do to get involved.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to the office or front desk.  Ask them how to get more involved.  They can give you the number of president of PTO/PTA to contact.  Also you can ask his teacher(s) what you can do to help.   I have helped chaperone field trips, donated extra classroom supplies, etc.  I am hoping this year that the teacher can use me more in the class for helping other students or busy work like cutting out shapes or stapling papers.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Btw   do not be surprised if they ask you for a background check for safety reasons.

nzumbrun
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Our school sends home papers to fill out to be involved. I would go to the front office and ask.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Has your school had an Open House or Back to School Night yet? Our school's PTO has a large table set up on Back to School Night with all kinds of sign up lists. Teachers usually have a volunteer sign up paper in each classroom on that night for class parties and fall field trips.

If not, you could always just email the teacher that you are willing to help and she will probably be thrilled to offer some suggestions. :-)

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I keep up with school newsletters, e-mail the teacher when I have a question, and help DD with her homework, read with her, and practice math facts with her daily.

hannahsmom0107
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

i am involved.. not as much as i want.. but i am a PTA mom!

hannahsmom0107
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

talk to the teacher about what help she needs, what day is best or days. if the school has a website, the PTA should be listed.. ask the front office how to get involved. also ask the librarian, they always need help..

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I agree. If you haven't had Back to School night yet, the info will probably be covered there.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would start by emailing the teacher and asking her.  Every school is different on what you have to do to get involved.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I agree with the others.  Email the teacher and ask if she could use your help in the classroom.  I have had a teacher tell me no, so be prepared for that.  Then go to the front office and ask them how you can be involved.  Have fun

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN