Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Behavior reporting

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 52 Replies

There was a post in Mom Confessions, I think, where this mom was complaining that her child's teacher does this behavior report thing where they learn the level of the misbehavior for the day, but no information is given on what the misbehavior actually was. He had gotten in trouble a couple times at school according to their behavior reporting system and when she asked what the child had done, the teacher responded "He should be able to tell you". (My guess is that she just plain couldn't remember!). The kid couldn't tell her or wouldn't tell her and she was really frustrated. The thread got kinda heated and was pretty darn entertaining! lol

Well, I find the system at my kid's school frustrating too.

See, here's the thing: if I'm going to get a report on my kid's behavior, I think some specifics should be included so we can respond to it and correct it. Honestly I don't even understand the point in getting such a detailed behavior report. We get the color system that I have to sign every. single. day. My kid is well behaved so it's always on the good colors, but Jesus, why go to so much work and then not give the parents anything they can work with? Why tell me that my kid's behavior is "orange"? What am I supposed to do with "orange"? Ground them for orange? Teach them not to do "orange" again?

I say, screw this daily system. It's a huge waste of time. If my kid has ongoing behavior issues that I need to know about, send me an email and we'll talk about a plan for fixing it. Otherwise, deal with the minor things at school and keep me out of it.

Do you have a system like this? How do you feel about it?

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM

To my knowledge ours does not do this color system. Last year dd did get a few notes sent home and the teacher would email me with more details if there were any. DD has an iep and part of it is behavioral due to delays. There were times where the incident did not need more than a talk since she had a consequence at school IE loss of recess for 2 days in afternoon. The few times it was more serious she lost privileges like going out to play with friends or her daily computer time.

PS the minor things I did not find out about from the teacher.  DD would tell me if she misbehaved and needed to be put aside from the class.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Our school doesn't use a color system and I honestly don't understand it at all.  For kindergarten, they use "Good Notes" which is basically a square of paper with a smiley face star on it.  If the child misbehaves, the teacher punches a hole in one of the star's points and writes a brief description of the offense.  If the children have less than X punches a week (I forget the exact number) they get a prize from the treasure box.

From first grade on, they use a three strikes discipline policy.  First strike, the child loses part of recess.  Second strike, the child loses all of recess.  Third strike, they are sent to the office, parents called, shit hits the fan.

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Our kids have the color system @ school.  THey've always been on the good color, so we've never had to deal w/ it @ home. 

green-good

yellow-warning

blue-time out

red-principal.

Teachers always tell us what happened if child gets off green.   I had a teacher tell us once, that if a child gets on yellow once in a while, don't worry about it.  It's been dealt w/ @ school, no biggie.  Blue or red, or constantly on yellow, then she asked for parent involvement. 

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

mine does the color system. and theres way to many colors IMO. but whatever. we also have a list of numbers that the teacher will put on there if they misbehave.

so for instance. my DD came home with green and a #7. which means she hurt someone on the outside. but thats all it says. no other explanation which i hate. so i emailed the teacher bc my kid has NEVER hit anybody including myself. not saying she never would but i just cant see it. anyways the teacher emailed me back and said that to boys claim that my dd hit them.  at this point bc she did not see it herself, all i did was tell me dd to make sure she keeps her hands to herself. she also told me that she DID NOT hit them.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
DD had a color system in K. She never clipped down and clipped up all the time (you start in the middle and work your way up or down). DS had a similar system in 1st grade. I don't remember getting explanations but I do agree with the teacher...I would expect my kids to tell me what they did to get a bad behavior report. They have to own up to what they did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

The whole district uses the PBIS (Positive Behavior Incentive System). The kids have a clip chart where if they do something good or bad, they personally move the clip so they own the behavior. Finishing on Purple or Green every day for the quarter gets them some kind of special activity. There are also other incentives along the way. It works beautifully. The idea is that they can move up or down during the day and can recover from mistakes. Teachers are encouraged to move kids up (although some don't quite get that it isn't solely a punishment system). Having been in the classrooms, I've been impressed by how much the kids want to get on Purple. 

Purple -- excellent

Green -- where they start

Yellow -- trouble, lose recess or similar

Red -- office referral

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM
the only time one of my kids misbehaved in school the teacher called me during her planning period and I addressed it immediately after school with my son. the next day he apologized to the teacher and the other students in the class. never had a problem again.

I don't think any of the teachers in our school use any type of color system like the ones I see so frequently described on here.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:12 PM
My kids teacher handmade every student a log book.
Every page is for one day. It has all blocks of learning on it listed on the side.

Middle column is for an x. If there is an x on story time. It will say beside (last column) so and so wouldnt stop talking in story time....

Or an x beside free time. ....refused to share, or hit anither student.

And she or the teachers aide will sign an date it.

If its blank your child was good all day. Teacher will writes quick note. Had a good day.

Its easy to follow. She will also add in if she thinks a meeting is necessary and will say call me tomorrow at such and such time.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

There was no behavior system in K - but the teacher definitely had control over her class.  I seriously became a better parent from watching her handle the class & the misbehaviors that happened.

In 1st grade, they start on green & move down to yellow or red.  Yellow means losing 2 minutes of recess, red is missing more recess & calling the parents (ideally by the student).  If they stay on green, they get a token & 5 tokens means you get a reward from the treasure box.

I would want details on why my son got yellow - red I would obviously get them because someone (either teacher or student) would be calling me.  If my son can't tell me (won't or can't remember), I would like to get details from the teacher.  

I can see kids in K having a hard time telling their parents what they did wrong.  Hopefully by 1st grade they could - but even then, they don't always get the story straight.  So some level of detail (even just "talked too much during story time") would be good from the teacher.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I saw the post in MC and I disagree with the mom. 

The color system isn't just for reporting to the parents. It's a tool to use with the kids in class to help them understand their own behavior. Putting the child on yellow isn't so the the parents know he was warned in class. It's so the student has a visual reminder in the classroom that he's been warned already. Young children tend to lose focus on things like this. The color tags are one way to help them focus on improving behavior. 

Most run of the mill behavior problems in a classroom need to be handled to worked out between the teacher and student. The parent isn't in class with the child and most of the time really can't do anything other than talk to the child about it. Unless the student is purposely breaking class rules, talking to him isn't going to help much. Even punishing a child when they get home isn't going to help most of the time. 

In fact, sometimes it makes things worse. Kids need to time to adjust to school and learn how to behave in the classroom. If the parent is punishing the child for minor problems it can cause undo frustration at school. 

Basically, there is a reason why contacting the parent is so high up the chart. Telling parents about ever little slip up a child has really isn't fair to the child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)