Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What is your preferred method of contact?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Max
  • 79 Replies

Poll

Question: What's your preference?

Options:

Phone call home

Email

Note sent with the student

Note mailed home

Conferences

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 110

View Results

How do you prefer the teacher contact you with concerns or updates about your child's performance? Why is this your preference?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Email works very well for me.  IMO this is the best way to communicte because it interrupts the person the least.  We are all busy and I hate wasting time playing phone tag with people.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Truthfully email, but because our grades, attendance, messages are all on a portal, most questions can be answered there.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Email.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

Email works very well for me.  IMO this is the best way to communicte because it interrupts the person the least.  We are all busy and I hate wasting time playing phone tag with people.

As a teacher I also like email. But we are very limited what we can say on email because everything in our accounts is public record. So I can't discuss grades or behavior problems. So really an email is just very general info or a request for the parent to call or come in. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I am not allowed to mention grades in email because it's all public record so I would be breaching confidentiality. 

I can tell a parent to look at the portal to see the grades, but I can't mention what they are. I can't even use the child's name in email- even when emailing other school employees. 

Quoting mjande4:

Truthfully email, but because our grades, attendance, messages are all on a portal, most questions can be answered there.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

As a teacher I also like email. But we are very limited what we can say on email because everything in our accounts is public record. So I can't discuss grades or behavior problems. So really an email is just very general info or a request for the parent to call or come in. 

That would drive me crazy.  We discuss everything through email.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

That would drive me crazy.  We discuss everything through email.

It's an inconvenience. But it beats Timmy's mom suing me because she doesn't like what I said in an email. 

Rosebud27aj
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

With my boys, we have a communication notebook that stays in their backpacks and their teachers write in it everyday to let me know how they are doing and any concerns. I write in it to, to let their teachers know how they are doing at home too.   

LadyAmaranth
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Phone calls so I can set up an appointment right then and there vs having to write or call back and hope they get a hold of me in decent time.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I prefer teachers to contact me by email.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)