Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Have you ever accidentally left your kid somewhere?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 50 Replies

This is inspired by a post in toddler & preschool. A mom was posting that she forgot to pick her kid up at school.

Anyway, I remembered another situation, I was maybe 10 or so and my family went to an event. I wasn't with them the whole time and at some point, the event is ending and I start looking around for my parents. Can't find them anywhere. So I start looking for them in the parking lot and their car is gone! Finally I find a neighbor and tell them my parents left me. It was humiliating! So my neighbor gives me a ride home. My parents had no clue I was even missing! They had been home for like an hour already. And the worst part was that they didn't even apologize! They thought it was funny. I was humiliated and angry and they thought it was funny! Argh!

Has this ever happened to you? Either leaving your kid somewhere or forgetting to pick up your kid? Hasn't happened to me yet as a parent!

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

No but my bil was left at a fuddruckers when he was about 9-10 best part was he was so busy playing games he didn't even notice, his parents thought he went home with his aunt and uncle and they though he went home with his parents 

Quennmom
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

woow that must have been scary for you. i never forget about picking up my kids as a matter of fact whenever it's around 3 i started looking at my watch non stop lol.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

No, I've never dealt with this as a parent or a child.  Can't say that I know anyone in that situation either.

BatMom.
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM
No, never. My Son has been with me every single day of His life; it was and is literally impossible to forget Him - plus He's too awesome to forget! ♥
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I have an only child, and he talks so much that it's instantly noticeable if he's missing....LOL

SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I've never left any of my kids anywhere, but I missed being at the bus stop one time when my oldest was in K. Our school won't allow K kids off the bus without a parent present. The worst part is that I was in a parent/teacher conference that went long (which I didn't even realize), so the teacher got to see my look of panic and me losing my cool when I happened to glance at the clock at the exact time the bus would have been arriving at the stop! Thank goodness that since we live so close the driver turned around and brought him back to me at the school, rather than taking him on the entire circuit and ending up at the high school where I would have had to pick him up.

idlehands
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I never have. I can't imagine I ever would either. I still check my backseats, expecting to see my kids while they're at school.
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

With four kids, I have the fear of leaving someone behind but I have yet to do it. And hope it doesn't!

family in the van   Mom of four

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I have done it twice but immediately remembered.  I have only done it when they were babies.  I always count heads when they start moving. 

My husband and I forgot our 7 year old when she was like a week old in our apartment.  We got to the car and realized it.  That was the first time.

The 2nd time was the scariest and I still beat myself up.  I had had my last dd (3 now) less than a week before and had left all the kids home with thier aunt but her.  I had never not remembered I had a kid in the back seat, but she was not making noise (she had fallen asleep on the ride) so I forgot.  I got in the store and down one isle before I remembered.  Then I ran through the store and straight to the car.  Thank goodness it was not the heat of summer yet and she was safe.  I have never done it again.  I always check the back seats now even if I know I left all the kids at home.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Nope...never forgotten a kid! And I'm the oldest of 4...never have been forgotten, either!

I was once late to pick up my DD from school...I wasn't feeling well, and laid down to rest. I set an alarm on my phone, woke up, must have hit dismissed instead of snooze because next thing I know, my youngest DD was waking me up 5 minutes before school let out saying "Mommy, when we go get Sarah?" Thank God we only live a few minutes from the school!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)