Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

S/O Your child leaves an item at school . . .

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 122 Replies

A post in another group left me shaking my head.  If your child leaves an item such as a waterbottle, jacket, textbook, etc. do you run back to the school and retrieve it?  Does your school allow you back in the classroom?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM
We use a charter school and the kids go very part time. We are free to come and go as long as it is in school hours. A lunch box or.jacket, i probably would not return for.

Missing homework items, maybe. My middle son has moderate adhd and needs more accommodation. My oldest, in high school would probabl have to face.the consequences
SciFiMama91
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM
It would depend on the item. Lunchbox, thermos, backpack, glasses or things like that I would go get. The teacher would bring it out to me or take it to the office.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Do you think it's hindering your child's accountability if you do this? 

Quoting SciFiMama91:

It would depend on the item. Lunchbox, thermos, backpack, glasses or things like that I would go get. The teacher would bring it out to me or take it to the office.

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if our school allows us back or not, but whatever it is can wait 'til the next day.  We have extra jackets, etc. . .

SciFiMama91
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM
No, my child is in Kindergarten and this is his first school experience.

I believe it takes time to learn these things and I won't make him go without lunch, his drink, glasses or homework because he made a mistake. If I forget something I go get it and we'll do the same if he forgets. Thus far he hasn't left anything at school.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting SciFiMama91:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this

This is my policy too.  I believe in natural consequences.

Quoting catevincesmom:

I don't know if our school allows us back or not, but whatever it is can wait 'til the next day.  We have extra jackets, etc. . .

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Can't he just "brown bag it" for a day or take another water bottle?  I just can't imagine driving back to the school for those items.  Our school won't let you in anyway, because they don't want parents enabling the behavior.  My kids have forgotten things over the years beginning in kindergarten and just learned to roll with the punches.

Quoting SciFiMama91:

No, my child is in Kindergarten and this is his first school experience.

I believe it takes time to learn these things and I won't make him go without lunch, his drink, glasses or homework because he made a mistake. If I forget something I go get it and we'll do the same if he forgets. Thus far he hasn't left anything at school.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting SciFiMama91:

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, not at all. I know th epost you are talking about. And I would never do that.

My kids get out at 2:45pm and 3:05pm, almost all the teachers are gone by the time th elast bus leaves the parking lot. Unless something is going on at the school. But now we can not go back to the school. My kids get home at 3:40pm and 3:20pm. by the time I went to the school it would be completely closed. Almost always. lol

My kids will suffer their own consequences by themsleves by being neglectful. They are responsible to keep track of their own stuff.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Yes we go back to get it.  Usually ends up in lost and found, not classroom though.  She has a consequence whether or not we go pick it up.   Homework waits until next day since teacher is usually gone by time we go back.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Your response was one of the better ones.  I agree 100%.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Nope, not at all. I know th epost you are talking about. And I would never do that.

My kids get out at 2:45pm and 3:05pm, almost all the teachers are gone by the time th elast bus leaves the parking lot. Unless something is going on at the school. But now we can not go back to the school. My kids get home at 3:40pm and 3:20pm. by the time I went to the school it would be completely closed. Almost always. lol

My kids will suffer their own consequences by themsleves by being neglectful. They are responsible to keep track of their own stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN