Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Intro and advice needed!

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi! I'm Leslie and my son Jordan is in second grade. He's never been the perfect student that never gets into trouble but progress reports were sent home on Friday and I'm extremely concerned.

He received and S- in conduct with the side note that he has trouble focusing and staying on task. She also noted he needs constant redirection and is quite often disruptive. But he is sometimes mastering the skills needed in some subjects and in a few he is more often than not mastering the skills so he's not falling extremely behind yet. But last year he would maybe have one ticket pulled a week at school.

I have scheduled a meeting with his teacher tomorrow to discuss his work and behavior. But a little back story: since he started K his great grandfather died, his grandparents divorce, his dad has been to jail twice, he has a new brother (me and dh of 4 years) and his uncle passed as well. He started wetting the bed over the summer and has been in therapy since July.

I've decided to take a parenting class (suggestions are welcome) because no matter what way we discipline him it seems to never affect him. And on the flip side no matter how we reward him it doesn't seem to work either. We've also decided that he will not be going over to his dad's parents house as often. In their grief they've began asking if Jordan can come over nearly every day on top of what formal visitation they already have in our custody agreement.

I guess I'm just looking for moms who have dealt with this or advice from other moms who have suggestions. I'm a very young mom and I'm always looking for suggestions. Sorry if I'm rambling. I currently feel like I'm majorly failing!
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Consistency is the key to discipline being effective.  Also, is he young for his grade?  Is he in any extra curriculars/sports?

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM

welcome 

Wow. Poor kid has been through a lot. Some of it is most likely a response to all the changes and upheaval over the past couple of yrs.

Has he always had trouble staying focused? Does he play well by himself for a reasonable length of time? Does he seem to be overly impulsive? I ask b/c, while not really getting in trouble, ds1 had trouble staying focused both in school and at home, did not play well alone for more than 15 mins or so, and was very impulsive. Had him evaluated in 2nd gr b/c it was starting to affect his schoolwork and he was diagnosed w/ ADHD. That diagnosis made a world of difference.

MommyO2-6631
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
He's not young for the grade. He'll be eight in November. He also has not been interested in any extra curriculars. He enjoys hunting and fishing with his step dad but that's not really a team sport. He loves it though.

Quoting mjande4:

Consistency is the key to discipline being effective.  Also, is he young for his grade?  Is he in any extra curriculars/sports?

MommyO2-6631
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM
He's always done well in school. He doesn't like school. He tries to rush through everything so he can move on to more interesting activities. But no. That I've seen he can focus. He can stay on task while reading to me for his twenty minutes or while we play a game.

Quoting wakymom:

welcome 

Wow. Poor kid has been through a lot. Some of it is most likely a response to all the changes and upheaval over the past couple of yrs.

Has he always had trouble staying focused? Does he play well by himself for a reasonable length of time? Does he seem to be overly impulsive? I ask b/c, while not really getting in trouble, ds1 had trouble staying focused both in school and at home, did not play well alone for more than 15 mins or so, and was very impulsive. Had him evaluated in 2nd gr b/c it was starting to affect his schoolwork and he was diagnosed w/ ADHD. That diagnosis made a world of difference.

meam4444
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  It sounds like you are taking the proper steps to find a solution and to help your son.  I hope it all gets better.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Poor kid has really been through a lot.  I'm sure a lot of his behavior is due to that.  It does sound like you're on the right track - both with having him in therapy (can you talk to the therapist to see how he's doing?) and having a meeting with the teacher.

As for a parenting class, I would suggest Love and Logic.  You may be able to find a class in your area from the website - or at least get a book.

I would also suggest getting him tested for food allergies & sensitivities.  It has made a world of difference for my 4 yo DS since I had him tested & found out he's gluten intolerant & reacts to peanuts & soy.  He is far more cooperative & has far fewer tantrums now.

soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM

welcome

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)