Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Worst snacks to give your kids

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 27 Replies

I found this on a pinterest blog I follow. I was surprised at a couple of the items on there (pretzels, yogurt) but had to go "well duh" at the rest.

http://www.skinnymom.com/2013/09/06/worst-snacks-for-your-little-lunch-packers/

I think all foods are fine in moderation. We don't eat chips unless it's at a party or cookout, even then they only eat a few. Yogurt I buy greek or am guilty of buying some of the fruit filled ones at times. We buy two boxes of snack cakes a year, one of the Christmas trees and one of the Valentine's hearts. Pretzels are my 5yo's and DH's biggest weakness and she had them in her lunch today. I stopped buying fruit snacks because it gets stuck in their teeth and causes cavities if they dont floss, although I did love the Kellgos brand 100% all fruit with no sugar (they just came out with them, I got a box first week of school and they tasted great). 

Do you pack these things for your kids' lunch? What do you think about the list?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM
None of that surprises me. I have buying "kid yogurt" for that very reason. Its just basically milk and food dye with sugar. We do have pretzels though. It seems like even pretzels are OK when paired with something of substance like cheese or fruit.

I want to make fruit snacks now though.
Supervane
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Juice boxes are our bad snack I realize they don't provide much nutrition. We normally pack fruit, cheese, or turkey wraps
TonyaLea
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

No, we don't pack junk food...BUT my kinder has come home with junk food in her snack bag two days in a row.  (She says the little girl she is friends with gives them to her, tomorrow she is instructed to politely decline).  

karone04
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

His snack at school is usually a granola bar. His after school snack is usually some raw veggies or fruit that we cut up or a prepackaged snack pack that has a combo of veggies, ranch dip, fuit, cheese. His drink in the afternoons is usually water. When winter comes I will probably bring a Thermos of hot cocoa.

jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Some of the yogurt geared towards kiddos is actually dye free. I only know that because my dd has an allergy to red food dye. We only buy it occasionally.

Quoting shadow_lark:

None of that surprises me. I have buying "kid yogurt" for that very reason. Its just basically milk and food dye with sugar. We do have pretzels though. It seems like even pretzels are OK when paired with something of substance like cheese or fruit.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I hate the kid yogurt like go-gurt and trix. It's just sugar sugar sugar and dye, which my middle can't have. They had pretzels with their lunch yesterday and today, just a few, but also had veggies and other things to eat with them.

Quoting shadow_lark:

jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I'm guilty of buying pretzels, fruit snacks, yogurt ( occasionally) and juice boxes (occasionally).

momofjkkc
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
We do potato chips on occasion and sometime fruit snacks. I guess the worst snack we buy is juice and pretzels. I don't buy the snack cakes or kid yogurt.
jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Some of the yogurt geared towards kiddos doesn't have dye. I buy it for an occasional treat.

Quoting steelcage:

I hate the kid yogurt like go-gurt and trix. It's just sugar sugar sugar and dye, which my middle can't have. They had pretzels with their lunch yesterday and today, just a few, but also had veggies and other things to eat with them.

Quoting shadow_lark:

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I agree with it completely. There is so much sugar and salt in foods.
My daughter (5) had already asked me why can't I pack gummies/chips/cupcakes for her snack. I tell her those are sometimes treats...to which she replies "well so-and-so has them everyday! "
I usually pack some.crackers, an apple, a kashi bar/granola bar, etc for snack time. Unfortunately, snack time is in the afternoon and I don't think cold snacks will be cold by then:/
I try to balance it with what I have packed for lunch.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)