Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

So it begins...

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 50 Replies
My daughter told me today tht someone at her school was checking her hair yesterday.

Has anyone else had lice in their school yet?
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

No and truthfully, I had never heard of lice in school until cafemom and my oldest is a freshman in high school.  Is it a regional bug?

LadyAmaranth
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Ugh....No talk about it here yet.

I'll be shaving them bald if it happens though!

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Argh! YES. My daughters friends have already had it...thankfully they haven't since I use preventive methods that seemed to have worked. The nurse checked my DD1's hair two days ago and said she found dead nits far from her scalp. No live ones, no bugs. My girls haven't had an issue since last spring and I don't plan on them getting it any time soon, not with a baby on the way.

I use Jason natural Tea Tree Oil shampoo (it smells and feels soooo good) on our hair, then spray with diluted tea tree oil (found in the pharmacy) on their scalps, tips, and behind neck and ears before drying with a hair dryer and spraying hair spray on their dry hair. I also keep their hair up all the time, very rarely are they allowed to wear it down. I spray their hair with hair spray every day and since lice love clinging to clean hair I wash  their hair once a week unless they are super filthy from playing and sweating or have gone swimming. So far so good, and I plan to keep it that way.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Not yet dd had lice twice last year.
MommyLehr
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I don't think it is. Sounds like you got lucky!

Quoting mjande4:

No and truthfully, I had never heard of lice in school until cafemom and my oldest is a freshman in high school.  Is it a regional bug?

MommyLehr
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Lol do you have boys? My daughter would kill me if I even mentioned cutting off all her hair. She loves her little fro.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

Gingered
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Not in our school yet, but other schools in town have.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Hmm.  We live where it's really hot and dry so I thought maybe this was the reason.  I guess that I will just be happy.  I have to say that I have taught in a high school of 4000 students for 20+ years and never heard of lice either until here. 

Quoting MommyLehr:

Quoting mjande4:

MommyLehr
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM
That's crazy. I know when I was in high school no one made a big deal out if it like in elementary school. I had lice in high school and they didn't do anything. Just said to take date of it before coming back

Quoting mjande4:

Hmm.  We live where it's really hot and dry so I thought maybe this was the reason.  I guess that I will just be happy.  I have to say that I have taught in a high school of 4000 students for 20+ years and never heard of lice either until here. 

Quoting MommyLehr:

Quoting mjande4:

LadyAmaranth
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Yes, three boys. Lol

Heck, I'd consider shaving my head too lol.

I know I'd still have to deal with sheets and sofa/chair but it's the hair thing that freaks me.

Quoting MommyLehr:

Lol do you have boys? My daughter would kill me if I even mentioned cutting off all her hair. She loves her little fro.

Quoting LadyAmaranth:

~Hillarie~
Mama to 3 Joyfully Chaotic Sons

http://kissmybleepcancer.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)