Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Homework for first graders?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 26 Replies
Ladies forgive me if I've posted this before but I am a little miffed about the homework my 1st grader is bringing home. I've talked to the teacher about the home work and her solution was for me to buy some work books and send them to school with her for down time. My dd likes this idea so we are going with it but then the homework is cut and paste some pictures to a sheet of paper?! The kindergarten teacher assigned homework more challenging then this. My daughter even asked the teacher for harder homework. I think the teacher is great but I don't want my daughters love of learning to diminish or for her to become distracted because she is finishing her class work too early. What types of homework are your children bringing home from 1st grade.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Why can't she just quietly read!?  She needs to learn to entertain herself if she finishes fast.  I will also say finishing quickly does not equate finishing accurately.  I'm not saying that your daughter isn't doing the work correctly, but it's something to think about.  I would, however, have her take a novel and read.

potchynok
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
My son is in first grade. Right now his home work is 2 days he has reading homework for 15 minutes and 2 days he has math homework for 15 minutes.
Cmgmqmmom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I think immediately getting bent of shape that your kid isn't challenged enough a week into school is a little silly. Most of the first month of any year, the teacher is figuring out who needs to be where and then divides the class up by level.

My son is doing printing and counting right now....well beyond his age level and I would guess the skill level of most first graders. We have a parents night where we get to speak to the teacher on the 17th. I will be asking her about what levels she is dividing up the kids into and when. If she doesn't have an answer, then I'll start asking for more.

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM
My son is in first grade. He has a math worksheet and brings home a book Monday-Thursday. He also has 5 sight words and 10 spelling words that we work on daily, and he is tested on those on Fridays. On Friday he brings home a poem binder that they work on during the week that he has to read to a parent.
bec94
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM
My dd is in 1st grade. She has a sheet of math, 5 sight/spelling words for the week ( we do different things with them each day) and reading each night. I'm sorry the teacher isn't challenging your daughter more :-(
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

How far into the school year are you?  The first couple weeks, their work was pretty easy as they reviewed from last year & the teacher assessed them.  Its getting more challenging now (we've been in school since 8/19).

My son has a book to read from on M, T, R, F.  Its supposed to be 10 minutes, but the assigned portion maybe takes him 3-4 minutes.

MustBNapTime
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now they just have spelling HW every night..

Mon: Copy each word 3x, Tue: Put words in ABC order, Wed: Write a sentence for each spelling word. Thurs: Study for Fri spelling test.

Im hoping soon they will bring home reading HW & maybe math...

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My first graders bring home their daily math worksheet for the day for us to review (test every Friday), and every day they have what they call "word study" where they take the week's vocabulary words and sort them into groups and practice spelling and reading and sorting them...

SaraBethKY
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Some students in her class may not have been to kindergarten and therefore this is their first time in school and dealing with homework. Maybe the teacher is trying to ease into it because it is still early in the school year. I always had students who could finish homework much faster than others in the room because it was easy for them, but I had to think of the majority when assigning work. I didn't have time to think of three different levels of homework to pass out, collect, and grade. Most teachers teach to the average student in the room. Some students will still need help, some will be above. 

LuvmyAiden
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

If her school work isn't challenging her then that is where you step in. Introduce a foreign language or buy workbooks with more advanced stuff for her to do at home. Does your school have a gifted program? That would certainly help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN