Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

The 1 Reason All Kids Should Wear School Uniforms

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this

The 1 Reason All Kids Should Wear School Uniforms

by Julie Ryan Evans

uniformsHow much do I love that my children wear uniforms to school each and every day? Let me count the glorious ways.

My former teenage self who haunted thrift shops and sewed her own clothes in a mad quest for individuality would be ashamed of me now. I'm sure she'd tell me that uniforms are repressive and that they stifle children's creativity. Fascism! she might even cry (she's a little dramatic). I'd tell her -- try getting two kids out the door for school without losing your mind a few days in a row, and then get back to me about those uniforms.

The bottom line -- uniforms are easy. So very easy. There are no arguments about what we're going to wear, no battles over what's appropriate or inappropriate, and no tearing the house upside down looking for that special shirt that they must have. As long as I see white shirts hanging in my son's closet and blue dresses in my daughter's, I know we're good for the week, and that's that.

My 4-year-old daughter doesn't even have to wear a uniform this year, as she's still in pre-k, but don't tell her that. That's all she's worn since day one, and hopefully all she'll wear for the next nine years.

I say this as a shopper who loves nothing more than to buy adorable little girl clothes. The problem is those adorable clothes I sent her to school in during her younger years all got ruined. Washable paint is not washable; and chocolate simply won't come out of things. So I started sending her in ratty old clothes that I didn't care about getting ruined, but she looked like a ragamuffin. Now, she wears uniforms that are nearly indestructible, and she looks adorable.

I'm not in the camp who believes that uniforms help kids avoid feeling bad if they don't have the latest brand names, because that will always come through in some way. Nor do I believe that they make children behave better, or that they're less of a distraction than regular clothes, or any of the other reasons people cite when making a case for uniforms. If they do those things too, then great. For me, however, it's all about the convenience and getting out the door each morning with the least amount of stress. When it comes to that, uniforms can't be beat.

Do your children wear school uniforms?

If not, do you wish they would?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I am hoping DD will. We will most likely be sending her to a private school, so chances are she will. I agree with the easiness being the best thing about uniforms. You can still tell who has money, girls will still try to wear shorter skirts, etc....but as a parent, you aren't the "bad guy" for trying to enforce clothing rules if there are uniforms. 

mickstinator
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM

uniforms are easy! i wore them most of my middle/high school years and honestly, as frustrating as it was even then, i kind of liked the ease of getting dressed. the biggest problem was when all my shirts or skirts were dirty and i literally had no clothes to wear to school. haha! that was just being irresponsible and lazy on my part. ; )

our schools don't require uniforms and i don't mind. i definitely am not going to push for uniforms. but i don't think they are awful, either. pros and cons either way. thankfully, our district has a pretty rigid dress code, so most inappropriate attire is out anyway.

happymommy1105
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Uniforms are expensive and not every family can afford them. 

I know we cannot afford 2 sets of clothes of our children.  I purchase clearance clothing that is $2-$3 a shirt or short/pant.  I do not pay over $8 or any piece of clothing they own.  

Uniform pieces generally do not go on clearance like that.  

I think they put undo stress on families experiencing finanical problems who rely on clearance and hand me downs.

mama-smurf
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Ds school doesnt i like that there arent uniforms. He likes wearing his new clothes to school. It makes school fun. He wakes me up every morning, i wanna wear ninjago today! Or ninja turtles mom lol
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

i hated it when my dd had to wear uniforms, and I am now loving that she does not. I always thought that uniforms would be awesome, because then you dont have the competition of someone whearing a $100 dollar pair of pants. but then when I had to buy them, and then also buy clothes for her to change into after school, it was too expensive. the uniforms themselves were too epensive. nope, I am happy I know longer have to deal with uniforms

MarigoldsMama
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Quoting happymommy1105:

I know we cannot afford 2 sets of clothes of our children.  I purchase clearance clothing that is $2-$3 a shirt or short/pant.  I do not pay over $8 or any piece of clothing they own.  

I think they put undo stress on families experiencing finanical problems who rely on clearance and hand me downs.

My children are in uniform and I love it, for the same reason as the OP.

Our school has a Used Uniform Closet where families can either sell or donate used/outgrown uniforms for  little to no charge.  The jumpers my girls wear are indestructable and you can't tell that they are hand-me-downs from another family!

ATS11208
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I would LOVE it if SS school would start with uniforms...then that would make it so much easier for his bio mom not to send him in clothes that are way to tight or way to big. It would be AWESOME!! Hope they do get them

LuvmyAiden
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
5 moms liked this

I am absolutely against uniforms. I get my kids dressed and ready(dd has super long hair too) every morning with no issues. It's called planning and having a schedule. Good lord the things people find to complain about. Why have kids if you can't even dress them for school without complaining and acting lke they MUST wear uniforms for your ease?

JenniL05
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I've bought tons of uniforms on clearance! Even Walmart has uniforms for fairly cheap. I don't always go cheap but if I really wanted to I could buy every single item for 10 each and less... Shopko had clearance shirts for $3, and Children's place had pants for $8 this season. I bought a bunch online with free shipping codes. :) There are also many many resale shops around here that carry uniforms.

Quoting happymommy1105:

JenniL05
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I love that my son wears uniforms! All of the children at his school look great and there's tons of individuality. There's no hassle or arguments over what to wear in the morning and when he stains all of his white polos we bleach the lot and they're good as new! ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)