Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

No show vs show

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
  • 19 Replies
How do you think teachers feel about parents that do and dont show for open house? Out of 21 students, by son class had only 7 parents show up. Thats 1/3rd
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Some families have both parents who are working so no one can go.  Others do not care about those types of events.   I do my best not to judge since i do not know anyones home life other than mine.   We try to go to everything we can since it gives us a chance to catch up with people we know.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I dont think its any of the teacher's business why they show or not so should not have a "feeling" about it. just try and schedual a conference with the parent that suits their schedual

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Well sometimes there's a good reason for it. I would be able to show up for an open house (and I would), but I could not guarantee that DH could because of his work schedule. Even if he happened to be off that night, I still couldn't guarantee it, because maybe he got home earlier that day and needs to rest.

I wouldn't judge because you never know what the reasons might be.

Miss-anonymous
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM
The reason is they dont give a fck. They tell u in advice when open house is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

A lot of times people work, or there is schedule conflicts.  I'm sure most families try to make it, but it's not always possible.  Hopefully the teacher will be able to find time to schedule conferences early so they can meet the parents and start off the year with good communication.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea how they feel, bit I would guess a little frustrated at least. They put a lot of time and effort in to things and let you know about ot well in advance, and then to have most not even show up has got to be at least a bit frustrating.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I have no idea how they feel, and this: 

Quoting Pukalani79:

A lot of times people work, or there is schedule conflicts.  I'm sure most families try to make it, but it's not always possible.  Hopefully the teacher will be able to find time to schedule conferences early so they can meet the parents and start off the year with good communication.

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I don't judge based on open house. I get weary if I notice a parent not returning my emails or calls, and never responding to messages, etc.
AmiJanell
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I think teacher might be slightly annoyed if the attendance is very poor... but if a few families are missing I don't think they give it a second though.  People have other things going on... they might be at work, they probably have other children with other commitments that they might need to be at too. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, you get advance notice for Open Houses and Back to School Nights, but not everyone has a job or boss who will give them the time off to attend, even w/ a couple weeks notice. I'm sure there are several parents who do "give a f***", but, given the choice of attend or lose their job, their job is going to come first.

Quoting Miss-anonymous:

The reason is they dont give a fck. They tell u in advice when open house is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)