Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Why NOT homeschool?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM
  • 151 Replies

I look around at all the problems people have with public/privet schools and wonder if homeschooling is the answer. I mean, they would have more free time to build on their interests and talents / gifts. I would get to spend more time with them. We get to choose who teaches our kids... so they get the best. The list goes on!

So, my question to you is, why didn't you homeschool your kids? Other then socializing the "normal way" , what are some benefits of sending your kids off?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyVavies
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

IDK... so I can have a job and earn money. bump

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Mostly the socializing, for me, it's that I'm not a teacher & wouldn't even know where to start.   My kids, esp my ds, listen to outside ppl (insert teacher) better than me in some cases,  so I know if I tried to homeschool, it wouldn't work,

socalxbombshell
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I don't have the patience for teaching. I would get too angry and frustrated to homeschool effectively.

That's my only reason.

fanniesmom
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

We'd seriously considered homeschooling (for all the reasons you mentioned) but in the end decided to send DD to a private Quaker school that fits well with our educational philosophy, values, etc. When DD was 5, we decided to wait a year before starting school and explore our options, first and foremost homeschooling. We found that even though we live in a large-ish city, we couldn't find a group of like-minded (non-religious, liberal) families who had kids around DD's age and wanted to meet on a regular basis. There were groups, but it seemed as if people weren't consistent about attending -- there'd be different people every week, and some weeks we'd be the only ones who would show up! Since DD is very "slow to warm up" (I hate the word "shy"), she really needs to be around kids on a regular basis -- and she really craves society, once she gets to know people. She's also an only child. So, yes, socialization was probably the largest factor for us, though I think had we been involved in a church, there's more of an active homeschooling community. For someone like DD who's very underconfident, learning how to function and express herself in a group is very important. We also attended a science class that was geared toward homeschoolers, and though the kids were obviously bright and motivated, they were -- I hate to say this -- a bit weird and annoying. It was probably just this particular class, but I have noticed lately that often homeschooled kids aren't particularly smart about being smart, kwim? There's often a tendency towards sounding like a know-it-all.

If the only option for us was the public school, though, we might have tried to make homeschooling work. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM
10 moms liked this
I have zero desire to be my children's primary school teacher.
That's why we moved to an area with wonderful schools.

We are very very active in our children's education. But I don't want their entire school career falling onto me. And I strongly believe it takes a village to raise my kids, and part of our village includes our children's teachers.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I am not qualified to teach past preschool age.  At school she can get all the help she needs as well as focus on her social skills with peers.  During the summer we took her to a weekly playshop at a toy store so she could keep using her social skills among her peers.  2 dollars a class and she loved it.  

debramommyof4
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I do homeschool. 

With 4 children, childcare costs more than a job can make me, but I know tons of parents that work and homeschool.

As for socialization, my children meet people at the store, church, co-op (a group of homeschool moms who work together and teach different subjects once a week), at play group.

I am not the most patient person, but when I get to frustrated I take a break. 

I am not a homeschool mom who says all public schools are bad and all kids need to be homeschooled, but I do think more parents who are dissatisfied with the school system need to quit automatically marking it off thier list without even looking at it as a real option.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM
9 moms liked this
  1. I don't want to homeschool.
  2. I believe she needs to learn how to learn from many different teachers with different styles and techniques.
  3. She's an only child, and she needs to spend time with other children.
  4. I chose to live in a great school district, so I don't have to homeschool for her to get a great education.
  5. While I know how to spell private, I don't believe that I am the most capable person to educate my child.  I'm not an expert in grammar, biology, geology, mathematics, spanish, etc.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Because my gift is not teaching...I leave that to the professionals.  I would homeschool if I had absolutely no other choice, but otherwise they are better off in school.

debramommyof4
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

In no state in the US do you have to be a qualified teacher.  I am not qualified to teach any age group but I can and have been teaching my kids for the last 3 years.  They are learning at a higher level than kids in thier age groups in public school. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am not qualified to teach past preschool age.  At school she can get all the help she needs as well as focus on her social skills with peers.  During the summer we took her to a weekly playshop at a toy store so she could keep using her social skills among her peers.  2 dollars a class and she loved it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)