Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS doesn't want to be different

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

DS (age 6, in 1st grade) finished reading the first book all the kids in his class were reading (the teacher assigns a certain # of pages to be read at home to an adult).  He actually finished it ahead of schedule on Friday - he chose to read past what was required.

Today he was willing to read out of the next (harder) book in class with his teacher but wasn't willing to bring it home to read to me.  His teacher emailed me & asked if I'd talk to him.  I did & he just said he doesn't want to be different from his classmates.  He wants to be bringing home the same book as everyone else (there is one student who is at a higher reading level who is bringing home a different book, everyone else is on the same one).

I replied to his teacher & told her what he said - so she may have the answer.  I told DS that he's just smart & ready for a harder book (he didn't seem to buy that).  DH is also going to try talking to him.

Any other tips?  I want him challenged with his reading - the book he's been reading is definitely below his reading level.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Have you tried explaining to him that everyone is different in one way or another.  Point out difference between you and him, you and dad, dad and him, even him and his friends. 

EndlessMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Let him know that everyone has a subject they do better in than others. My daughter is better at her science class but still reads at the same pace as the other children. This is normal. It is ok to be like this because everyone is in some way.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I would explain we all have our strengths and right now his is reading.  What you can do is go to local library or if your school allows it, go to their library and have him pick out a book or 2 that is more challenging for him to read at home.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

This is the tact DH is going to take with him.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Have you tried explaining to him that everyone is different in one way or another.  Point out difference between you and him, you and dad, dad and him, even him and his friends. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

This is also a good point to make with him, although I bet this isn't obvious yet in their first grade class.

Quoting EndlessMom:

Let him know that everyone has a subject they do better in than others. My daughter is better at her science class but still reads at the same pace as the other children. This is normal. It is ok to be like this because everyone is in some way.

squeekers
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM

DD was like that too. she outread her 1st grade class in circles. we went down to the local library and she checked out 5 books, to not be bored.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

He is very willing to read other, harder, books at home.  He just doesn't want to take home something that is different from everyone else.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would explain we all have our strengths and right now his is reading.  What you can do is go to local library or if your school allows it, go to their library and have him pick out a book or 2 that is more challenging for him to read at home.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the previous posters, but will add that if he is reading more difficult material at home, then I wouldn't worry about him not bringing books from school.  When he's comfortable, he will and in the meantime he's still reading at home.  KWIM

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Is he allowed to bring home the book once he finishes it?  I am thinking perhaps he could make up stories about each character or make up new stories based off the book they are reading.  DD is very fluent and was ahead of her class until they started focusing on comprehension, then she was a bit below grade standards. She caught up by end of year with our help at home.

Quoting GwenMB:

He is very willing to read other, harder, books at home.  He just doesn't want to take home something that is different from everyone else.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

The teacher needs to tell him that is what he needs to read and not leave it to be optional.  I am kind of surprised that all the rest of the kids are on the same level.  In DD's 1st grade class tehre were 8 different reading groups on 5-6 different levels.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)