Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

fund raisers

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 53 Replies

Am I the only "bad parent" that hates school fundraisers?  

I absolutely hate having my children ask other people for money (latest one being for a school walk-a-thon).  I would just write my child a check and be done with it, but they have a goal of $20 per child, and with multiple children in school and a super tight budget I just can't afford to do that right now.  

BTW we have no family that lives close.  Grandparents etc. live in other states so we would be asking friends, and neighbors for money... so we just didn't do it.  Instead I chose to ask my children's teachers what they needed for their classrooms then go and buy a few items for them.  (spent less than $10 each).  

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Omg i am loathing fundraisers right now. I have to sell raffle tickets for both dd and ds and then dd also has a book of coupons for the area that is $20. No one wants to buy any. Lol
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I hate it too, fortunately DS's school just does it once a year and DD's does it every other.

I've asked out of town family to help out. My one cousin used to volunteer at DD's school so she was thrilled to help even though she lived many states away. Give them the chance to say no...they might want to help and be involved in some way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Honestly, don't buy the stuff from the fundraiser then. Just donate what you can per kid. 

The school gets less than half of what you're paying. If you donate they get to keep all of it. 

I don't complain about fundraisers. Our school uses them to help pay for field trips. Without them we wouldn't do many trips. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I hate them, but realize that they are a necessary evil.  Instead of selling the junk, I make a donation.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Our schools do a Jog-A-Thon. They started that 2-3 yrs ago and parents like it so much better- no more selling junk!

Just b/c they say there's a goal for each child does not mean you are obligated to pay/raise that amount. If all you can give is $5 per child, give just that.

JeremysMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Luckily, my son's school has limited fundraisers. They do a fall and spring book fair. They also do a carnival in the spring. They are not required to sell anything. I have seen a meme that said something along the lines of giving schools the money they need and making prisoners do the bake sales and fundraisers. If that would only happen, then in the long run, there wouldn't be as much of a need for jails and prisons.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

The only fundraiser I buy and enjoy is the oranges that my DD's band sells very year. She raised 100's on that one and it pays for there trips for competitions, Other than that I hate them.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I also hate them. At our elementary school we have the option to make a donation instead. You should see if you have the option.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I loathe them... it honestly ticks me off that I send my kids to private school, pay an arm and a leg in tuition and then have 2 fundraisers per year for 2 kids. Seriously? This one that just came home the other day is: magazines, pizza, cookie dough, jewelry, and candy. Honestly, it is ridiculous. 

The ONLY fundraiser I LOVE is the Kick-A-Thon that our Karate Dojo does yearly. It is done around Thanksgiving with all proceeds going to buying full Thanksgiving meals for needy families in our area. The kids have to complete 500-1000 kicks depending on belt level. You can donate per kick, do a flat fee OR you can donate a basket for $40. It is the only fundraiser that I will allow the kids to ask people other than family to donate to since it is for a good cause. They have successfully fed more than 100 families every year for the past 4 years that my oldest has taken Karate there. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We just do not do them.   The first one is selling a local coupon book which we do not know anyone to sell to.   The run for fun everyone participates even if they do not get sponsors.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN