Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my poor little Monkey! just not sure what to do :-/

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 82 Replies
1 mom liked this
Monkey just turned 5 at the end of August. he is a very sensitive child. and deff a mamas boy! we have always been completely inseparable. also, he has taken 3hr naps up till school started last week. i tried to wean him, but he would bed to go to bed!

Now he wakes up and goes to school. gets. no nap, comes home at 3:30. and by 6 he is completely exahsted and needs to go to bed. he also has to got to his dads from 4on Fridays to 6 on Sundays three weeks a month. (Didn't seem so bad before, but now that he's in full day school its a lot),

since starting school, he has been so upset! he is weting his bed again. pooing his pants (even when the bathroom is right next door!) today he beat up his sister for the first time in his life!

I just don't know what to do to help make this huge adjustment easier for him! Does anyone have any advice?? id really appreciate it!!

***UPDATE. EVERYTHING IS BETTER THANKS!***

We tried the extra nap in the afternoon, but it just made him more cranky.

On our walk home i saw a bruise on Monkey. when i asked him how he'd gotten it i found out that he has been getting beat up on a daily basis by the kindergarten gang. yes, in my sons school there is a gang of three 5yr olds who beat kids up! Monkey had told me of an altercation that he'd had on day one of school with C, the gangleader. since then, every day on the playground, C and his 2friends have chased Monkey and punched him. when i asked where he sai wherever they hit. sometimes on the arms or legs or head. They told him if he told anyone that they would punch him again. so he just suffered through it for three weeks straight!

we talked and i talked to his teachers. He hasn't had a problem at school from these kids since. and he is back to being my sweet little Monkey. no accidents either.

thanks for all the advice! and I'm glad the people who had nothing nice to say were wrong. he's a great kid. and adjusting very well now that he is no longer being bullied <3
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I wish I had some advice but all I can say is with time it will get better. Is he one of the youngest in his class?

EndlessMom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

My children always came home to a snack and a nap right after school. It really helped them all around.

monkeyprincessa
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
He was put into JK because they said he was too young for real kindergarten. all his Pre-K friends went up to real K tho. so he doesn't know. anyone. I'm not sure how old they all are tho
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM
9 moms liked this

IMO, he isn't ready for full day kindergarten. 

monkeyprincessa
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM
He gets a snack, but with him getting home at 3:30-3:45 I'm not sure that a nap would be a good idea. I need him to sleep at night still :-/

Quoting EndlessMom:

My children always came home to a snack and a nap right after school. It really helped them all around.

monkeyprincessa
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I agree. but they don't have 1/2day kindergarten here and at 5he needs to be in school

Quoting steelcrazy:

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM
2 moms liked this
All kids handle it differently.

My DD turned 5 at the end of May and she is exhausted at home. She's been in a month and some days are better than others.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Then start looking for half day pre-school programs.  The compulsory age for school in most states is much older than 5, so he legally doesn't have to be in kindergarten yet.

Quoting monkeyprincessa:

I agree. but they don't have 1/2day kindergarten here and at 5he needs to be in school

Quoting steelcrazy:

JTROX
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Sounds like you should have red-shirted him a year.  He is not ready for full-day school.

monkeyprincessa
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM
He went to preK last yr and did fine. but here he HAS to be in school and he is too old for the PreK class they said. i live in a small town. there are no options aside from the only public school in town.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Then start looking for half day pre-school programs.  The compulsory age for school in most states is much older than 5, so he legally doesn't have to be in kindergarten yet.

Quoting monkeyprincessa:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)