Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3rd grade math-what are your kids doing?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 55 Replies

I live in California and am wondering what kids in other states are doing for math right now. Are they memorizing times tables? We haven't even started that and I hear some other states are. Do your kids do STAR testing in the spring? If so what are typical math test scores? Above 400 or below? I know now we won't have STAR testing as we have changed over to Common Core so new testing will be coming.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Last yr in 3rd dd was times table and exponents. This year she had already started solving for letters. We are in AL
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Dd is in 3rd grade. They learned multiplication facts 0-5 and 10 last year and are working on 6-9,11 and 12 this year and have been working on a measuring unit learning both metric and standard measurements and conversions. They are doing multidigit multiplication and division with remainders as well. They take the OAA's in the Spring. He school always scores in the highest ranges but it's a gifted charter so that is to be expected. They do have some twice exceptional students though. Oh and we're in Ohio.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
I'm no help. Dd is only in kindergarten. Sorry.
reche1978
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

my dd is in 3rd grade and there not doing times tables yet right now its rounding and some other things

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
My son's school follows Everyday Math curriculum. He learned some multiplication and division by the end on Kindergarten. He was memorizing the tables in 1st grade, and he learned long division and multiplication in 2nd grade.
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I don't know what STAR testing is either. In addition to state testing, most districts here use MAP testing. My son's district didn't start it until he was in 5th grade though, and they usually don't send the results home.
SahmTam
by Tammy on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My 3rd grade son just came home with word problems yesterday. They were problems that require multiple operations to solve (addition and multiplication, for example.) Then he had to create his own using the UPSC (Understand, Plan, Solve, Check) method. He did similar things last year, so I think they may still be reviewing- last week was only our first full week of school.

They worked on their times tables last year and I'm sure they will again this year. Beyond that I don't know for sure yet what's in store. My daughter was in the same level of math last year (she's in 4th grade now), but things tend to change from year to year.

We don't have STAR testing- I've never heard of it. I live in PA. Is STAR your state standardized test? We have one called the PSSA, which begins in 3rd grade.

lilly1
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yes STAR testing is the tate testing for CA

lilly1
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Seems like there are huge variations between what different states are doing.

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

He is doing time tables, 3 digit addition & subtraction and gemotry.  On times tables he has learned perfect squares, 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, and is testing on 4s this week.  It is crazy compared to how i learned them as  a kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)