Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I wanted to get opinions from those who had their kids get the flu mist , how did you kids react to it did they like it better than the flu shot? My DD is 6 and this past year shes decided shes now terrified of needles so Im trying to figure out if the mist would work better.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Quoting NovaChick26:

I decided to get flu shot for my DD this year because she didnt get one last year and she caught every bug going around last year and she was soo sick and miserable and shes had flu shots previously and it did help cut down on the severity of how sick she got before. Iv never done the mist myself Im just wondering how does it feel does it burn does it have same side effects?

I've had the mist a few times. I'm not sure what you mean by "burn" since I haven't had that with the shot.

The mist doesn't hurt your nasal passage at all, as opposed to how the shot makes you feel like you were punched in the arm.....if that's what you're asking. The side effects are definitely less. 

deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM
My dd has gotten the flu mist since she started school in 2011 and she hasn't had any problems. Her peditrician said it actually lasts for a year.
deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM
My dd has gotten the flu mist since she started school in 2011 and she hasn't had any problems. Her peditrician said it actually lasts for a year.
MommyO2-6631
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I thought the mist was a live virus? If it is then it can shed and give other people the flu... I'd rather give my kid the shot. But we don't get the vaccine, just vitamins and lots of hand washing.
frzmamaof4
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM
My pediatrician told me that the flu mist protects children from more strains of the flu. My children will be getting the flu mist and I'm getting the shot for myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I have never heard of the mist
Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't poison my kids with that crap and we have never got the flu. I hear people who get the flu shot they get the flu.
Homealonex2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
My dd got the mist last year and my son the shot. My dd never got sick. My son however, was not so lucky. He got the flu twice. My dd was able to fight off all the germs he brought home.
Last year was the first year that both of my kids didn't get the mist. My son uses an inhaler so was unable to get the mist due to them changing the rules. I wish he was able to get the mist it works better.

Quoting soymujer:

I've heard that the mist doesn't work as good as the shot. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Well the mist is the live virus and the shot is not.  With the mist they are more likely to get a form of the flu from the mist itself.

NovaChick26
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Thanks for the help ladies I think DD will be getting the mist!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)