Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I wanted to get opinions from those who had their kids get the flu mist , how did you kids react to it did they like it better than the flu shot? My DD is 6 and this past year shes decided shes now terrified of needles so Im trying to figure out if the mist would work better.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
PinkButterfly66
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Her vitamin D levels are low.  The vitamin D council recommends 1,000iu D3 per 25 lbs for children.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-do-i-get-the-vitamin-d-my-body-needs/

When my vitamin d levels were low (12ng/ml) I was catching every virus that came along.  I was sick with something every month or two. A simple cold would last 14 days and often turned into a sinus infection or bronchitis.  Now my levels are optimal (70ng/ml-80ng/ml) and I am hardly ever sick.

Quoting NovaChick26:

I decided to get flu shot for my DD this year because she didnt get one last year and she caught every bug going around last year and she was soo sick and miserable and shes had flu shots previously and it did help cut down on the severity of how sick she got before. Iv never done the mist myself Im just wondering how does it feel does it burn does it have same side effects?

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM
My 9 yo was given the mist at school even though we told his psychopath of a teacher no and he got so sick. We don't get flu shots and I love that our pediatrician doesn't argue with me about it. I'm surprised though since Ds has a low immune system she would usually argue about that sort of thing.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

My youngest always gets the shot, because she has allergies... the older two now get the mist.  We have had no adverse side effects from either, and we have also not had any issues with flu the last few years.

The older two (age 6) also hate needles, and are really glad they don't have to get the shot, so they take the mist no problem.  Personally, I HATE the mist and would rather get a shot...

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
It is, so you should not get the mist if you like with someone or if you have a compromised immune system. My husband is a diabetic, so I originally avoided getting the mist, but one year my son got the mist instead and my husband didn't get the flu from us. Since then, we've both been getting the mist, and my husband has never caught the flu from either of us.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I thought the mist was a live virus? If it is then it can shed and give other people the flu... I'd rather give my kid the shot. But we don't get the vaccine, just vitamins and lots of hand washing.
Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Mist isn't supposed to be getting be given to people with low immunity, so I'd be pissed if that happened! It says that clearly on the consent forms!

Quoting deadlights86:

My 9 yo was given the mist at school even though we told his psychopath of a teacher no and he got so sick. We don't get flu shots and I love that our pediatrician doesn't argue with me about it. I'm surprised though since Ds has a low immune system she would usually argue about that sort of thing.
Mommy2_two
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My kids DR said the mist works better for kids. And the shot is better for young adults (18 and over). We have decided against the flu vaccine, but i would probably go with the mist for my kids if they had to get the flu vaccine.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM
We don't get the flu shot.
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:43 AM
We didn't consent to him having either one. She was insane.

Quoting Barabell:

Mist isn't supposed to be getting be given to people with low immunity, so I'd be pissed if that happened! It says that clearly on the consent forms!

Quoting deadlights86:

confused0701
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

We don't get them period.  But the mist is a live virus vaccine and will shed!

squeekers
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM

DD has asthma so she only gets the mist. she says it's like using the nasel sprays for allergies. it has a wee bit of a funny taste, but it's as effective as a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)