Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I wanted to get opinions from those who had their kids get the flu mist , how did you kids react to it did they like it better than the flu shot? My DD is 6 and this past year shes decided shes now terrified of needles so Im trying to figure out if the mist would work better.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
AmiJanell
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I've had both and prefer the shot over the mist... the spray up my nose is more uncomfortable for me.  Also keep in mind, that with the mist you can't be around vulnerable people for a few days... like infants or the elderly. 

My son is 5... I think I will let him choose which he would like... he's only had the shot in the past and he tolerates it well. 

Nutball3
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Does the mist still require 2 doses? When my oldest was 4 turning 5 he got the mist but that's the first and last time any of us have gotten a flu vaccine. Last one I had was when I was 10, my youngest has never had one.

We seem to have pretty good immunities. I do vax my kids except for flu.

my4kidsrock2
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I was wondering about the mist as well. My youngest daughters school is offering the mist for free this year but she's never gotten the mist before, only the shot. So I will be stalking your post for a bit, lol.

my4kidsrock2
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I did call the dr and ask her about them and she said the only difference is that if you are around anyone who has an immune disorder or weakened immune system then you should stay away from them for at least a week after getting the mist since it is a live vaccine, but anyone with a normal immune system should not get the flu from the mist.

I'm curious to see some real world answers and not just what the dr wants me to hear.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I've had the mist 3 or 4 times (different years), and I never had two doses.

Quoting Nutball3:

Does the mist still require 2 doses? When my oldest was 4 turning 5 he got the mist but that's the first and last time any of us have gotten a flu vaccine. Last one I had was when I was 10, my youngest has never had one.

We seem to have pretty good immunities. I do vax my kids except for flu.

gcstar42
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

We usually do not do either one. Last year however, we were at my daughters checkup and the flu had already been going around really bad so I decided to get them for my girls and I was planning to go back later with my son and get his (I never did though lol). We did the mist because I thought they would prefer that, but they hated it. One of my daughters was screaming "just give me the shot, just give me the shot" and the other told me afterwards that she would rather have the shot next time. Honestly this year probably none of us will even get either one.

mickstinator
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I had my 5 year old get the mist last year. He much preferred it over the shot! I'll do the same this year, too.

Chymerra
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM

DD has to get the shot, she has asthma and her Dr will not give her the mist. DS gets the mist and didn't like it. Said it felt like his nose was stuffed up afterwards. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My boys & I did not get the flu shot or mist last year. My 6 yo missed 1 or 2 days from minor illnesses, I don't think the 4 yo missed any days of school (although he only went 2 times per week last school year).  I didn't get sick at all, not even a cold.

I wonder if it is the Vit D levels like a pp said.  I've taken Vit D supplements a lot since getting married & have had very few colds since then.  The last cold I can remember was in Apr '08.  I used to get them like clock work every fall.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Dd and ds will both get the shots. Dd has asthma and ds has congenital lung defects and is on tons of medicine some of which lowers his immune system. I can't have the mist because of ds and the shot makes me really sick. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)