Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I wanted to get opinions from those who had their kids get the flu mist , how did you kids react to it did they like it better than the flu shot? My DD is 6 and this past year shes decided shes now terrified of needles so Im trying to figure out if the mist would work better.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
soymujer
by Mikki on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That's good to know.  Like I said, it was what I heard.  We don't get flu shots in this household.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting soymujer:

I've heard that the mist doesn't work as good as the shot. 

False. It usually provides better protection because it usually covers more strains of the flu virus.

family in the van   Mom of four

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM

DS1 & I got the shot last year--I've never had the mist, but I think I'd rather just have the shot for some reason.  I decided on letting DS2 have the mist because he doesn't usually handle shots well (and hates bandaids) but he freaked out completely that we were at the school library for the flu shot clinic and not in the gym on the bouncy houses...that weren't there anyway, he was just remembering them fron the previous year's carnival!  It was a horrible experience, but I finally got him "pinned" down and the nurse was able to do the mist...and then I cried the whole way home...

Either way--none of us ever got the flu.  We never get the flu and don't know if that's because we do get the shot or if we're just lucky (because DH doesn't always get it...) but I'll take the shot just in case.

tnwp21
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Neither.

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Mist requires 2 doses a month apart for kids 8 and under, at least the type dd had last year (not sure if there is more than one type).  Makes it a bit less convenient than a shot.  But, for kids who are tramatized by needles, two happy doses can still beat one scream fest.

jackiewal10
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I would never get either, but the biggest difference is that the mist is a live vaccine and the shot is not.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM

My older kids get the flu mist. They aren't particularly fond of the feeling, but say it's much better than the shot.

DS2 has epilepsy and I have asthma, so we get the shot. We'd much rather have the mist.

oaron5555
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same thing:)  Yikes, don't give your kids unnecessary medicines.  All these preventative shots doctors push on people freak me out and I don't give them to my kids either.

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458:

I don't poison my kids with that crap and we have never got the flu. I hear people who get the flu shot they get the flu.

mandalyn74
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We always get the mist for my son who is now 8.  He hates the thought of a shot.  It has worked fine for us so far.

baileymarie723
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
My daughter HATES needles, and has been getting the mist since it became available. She likes it a lot better than the shot, and it seems to work just as well.
jamiebell
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
My pedi told me that unless there is a medical reason to get it, basically all the shot is going to do is "maybe" prevent a visit to him in Feb.

Quoting oaron5555:

I was thinking the same thing:)  Yikes, don't give your kids unnecessary medicines.  All these preventative shots doctors push on people freak me out and I don't give them to my kids either.

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458:

I don't poison my kids with that crap and we have never got the flu. I hear people who get the flu shot they get the flu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN