Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

homework

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:30 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

hey everyone. my son is six and i cant not get him to sit still and do his homework and or study his words etc. its like he is bored with it. he is a very smart kid. is it because he knows it already and it boring to him. dont know what to do just thought id ask

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM

What type of homework does he have?  Has he ever played word games that are activity driven?  Depending on the amount of words you could make a hopscotch pattern with index cards or draw one outside with chalk.  Write a word in each block and then call out the words.  When he is on the correct word he will need to spell it and if required say what it means.  You can do this with almost any subject for lower elementary ages.   It is very boring to just sit still and look at still words.  If any words are action words, you can have him act the action out. 

DD is in 2nd grade and we have yet to see any homework.  Last year in first grade they had one math sheet a week and reading journal.  We had one single paper of 100 words they needed to know by end of year.

meam4444
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I know it took my daughter a little bit to get in the swing of it.  We try to do little parts of it at a time.

babygrl143
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM
My son has homework every other day. Mon he get his spelling words and a page that has twenty five different this to do with the words and they have to record the points and it goes toward there grade. And that is do the follwing Mon. And they have there sight words also to write n spell.. He get bored and is like mom i no this its boring.. I thought about the index cards and then some game. Hopscotch i would do but its gettin cold n raining

Quoting frndlyfn:

What type of homework does he have?  Has he ever played word games that are activity driven?  Depending on the amount of words you could make a hopscotch pattern with index cards or draw one outside with chalk.  Write a word in each block and then call out the words.  When he is on the correct word he will need to spell it and if required say what it means.  You can do this with almost any subject for lower elementary ages.   It is very boring to just sit still and look at still words.  If any words are action words, you can have him act the action out. 

DD is in 2nd grade and we have yet to see any homework.  Last year in first grade they had one math sheet a week and reading journal.  We had one single paper of 100 words they needed to know by end of year.

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

You can use tape to make a hopscotch board on your floor inside.

Quoting babygrl143:

My son has homework every other day. Mon he get his spelling words and a page that has twenty five different this to do with the words and they have to record the points and it goes toward there grade. And that is do the follwing Mon. And they have there sight words also to write n spell.. He get bored and is like mom i no this its boring.. I thought about the index cards and then some game. Hopscotch i would do but its gettin cold n raining

Quoting frndlyfn:

deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
My 7 year old daughter is in second grade and she moans and groans about homework especially her spelling, and social studies. I try to do things that describe her spelling words if I can. If it is nice outside, we go outside and do her words while she bounces on her small trampoline.
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I just explained to my children that although homework was boring it was required. They have to have it done before they can go play outside or have friends over. If it isn't done before dinner they lose TV time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)