Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 6 year old hardly ever eats!!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

It's a fight and struggle everday to get her to eat anything!!! Doesn't matter what it is. Her favorite food is Mac n Cheese and I made it the other day and it took her two hours to eat it cause I had to fight with her to get her to eat.

I have been thinking about buying her the pediasure sidekick things and the nutrition shakes so that I don't have to worry so much. I don't know if she is eating at school but I highly doubt it.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steelcage
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I don't fight with my 5yo. If she's hungry, she'll eat but most days she just picks at her food. She eats all her food at school, whether I make it or she eats school lunch,  which is a big shock. At home, grandmas, out to dinner, wherever, she won't touch it. She'll take a bite and be done. So be it. We save it and if she's hungry, she'll eat it if not DH will eat whatever is left over. 

As far as nutrition she takes vitamins but refuses nutrition shakes and pediasure.

zoeys.mom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Have you talked to her doctor about your concerns? In my experience, pushing a child to eat can backfire. They realize food is an issue for you and use eating (or not eating) as a way to manipulate you. Is she an ok weight for her age?

CheyG
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM

She has always been small. She is around 40 pounds. Her doctors said she'll eat if she gets too hungry. 

Quoting zoeys.mom:

Have you talked to her doctor about your concerns? In my experience, pushing a child to eat can backfire. They realize food is an issue for you and use eating (or not eating) as a way to manipulate you. Is she an ok weight for her age?

deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM
My 7 year old does this.
meam4444
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM
My six year old does this, but then she goes through phases where she will eat more. I guess I never fight with her though..if she eats, great..if not, she will be ok too.

Now, my five year old eats all the time. She is smaller framed, but she has a crazy high metabolism.
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My dd is going through this too. I let her eat how much she wants and we don't base desserts on being required to eat anything. She is also petite, she just hit 36 pounds.

mama_girl07
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ill join the no-eating club too. My 6 year old hardly eats anything. I dont fight her so will eat when and if she is hungry. By not being a short order cook for dinner has actually gotten her to eat and like lots of new things but she still doesnt eat a whole lot. She is around 38lbs.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM
My 5 year old always takes a long time to eat. It doesn't matter what food it is. I hope its a stage that they grow out of. I would definitely look into pediasure and vitamins if your worried about her nutrition.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN