Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Rough transition...?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is in Kindergarten this year. He did go to a 4K program last year which is 4 days a week half days. He's usually a really happy kid but now after school most days he's a bear to handle, because the days are so long, I'm sure. He's also started sucking on his fingers. He's never been a thumb sucker and now he's almost always go either his thumb, pointer or pointer and middle fingers in his mouth. He's also started peeing his pants everyday at last recess. Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Tiffany Marie reading

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

When is his birthday, he is young for his grade?  How long ago did school start?

It can take at least a few weeks, if not a few months, for kids to really get in the groove of full day school, esp if they are in K.

Is it possible for someone to remind him to go to the bathroom before the last recess?  Have you asked him why he's peeing his pants, if something is upsetting him or he's forgetting or what?

tmarieu
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

He turned 5 August 1st and they started school the day after Labor Day. He doesn't really give an excuse when we ask him why. He must not tell anyone at school either cause he leaves school in his wet clothes although by the time school is done he's almost dry. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Is he doing ok in the classroom?

My only suggestions are to wait it out (I've heard of full day K students taking until Nov to really get settled & not be so tired at the end of the day) or to do a reward chart of some sort.  You could give a reward after so many days of staying dry - even start with one or two dry days & build up to more days for the reward.

Does he have a change of clothes at school?  Maybe tell him he should change himself, too.

Quoting tmarieu:

He turned 5 August 1st and they started school the day after Labor Day. He doesn't really give an excuse when we ask him why. He must not tell anyone at school either cause he leaves school in his wet clothes although by the time school is done he's almost dry. 

tmarieu
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

His teacher says he's doing great in school. My other 2 kids had this same teacher when they were in K so we are very familiar with her and she is an awesome teacher.

We had a school close over the summer so now our school got a bunch of extra kids because of it. His class size is 26 I think which is pretty high for this area. I don't want to be that mom that asks special treatment or extra attention for her kid.

He does have clothes at school so I will tell him to change himself if he has an accident. I just had to wash his shoes today cause they were soaked :( I feel so bad that he sat like that for the rest of the day! 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Have him wear a watch with a timer. When the timer goes off, then he needs to stop and go to the bathroom.

amullenwy
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

That's so sad! I would suggest talking to his teacher to see what he/she is noticing about his transition. If he is coming home still in those clothes without a call to you or a note then I assume the teacher doesn't know this is happening. Clothes like jeans and some others don't readily show wet spots. He may not be able to verbalize to you why this is happening, but there is definitely some anxiety or some problem with the routines. Maybe he doesn't know when/how to really ask to go to the bathroom? Maybe he finds the bathrooms there different and scary to navigate (our school has urinals and only a few stalls for the boys- maybe he isn't familiar with that setup)? Perhaps he gets so engrossed in play or activities he misses the signs that he needs to go? There could be a lot of reasons.

Kindergarten is also not like in our day. It is all day long, with no nap time. Kids don't just learn a few letters and numbers, they are expected to do a ton now. By the end of kinder here kids are supposed to read at a level 4, know 30 sight words or more, all letters and sounds, blends, diagraphs, be able to write a full sentence with capitals and punctuation, add and subtract single digits, identify numbers to 100 and more. Younger kids tend to struggle more often and your little guy is barely 5.  Boys have a harder time than girls, particularly younger boys. I think it's great that he went to pre-school but I can see how half day preschool to full day kindergarten can be a big adjustment.

I'd suggest communicating closely with his teacher and monitoring his adjustment and his skills in relation to your district's expectations as well as compared to his peers and make any adjustments. Definitely talk to the teacher to be sure he/she is aware of this so they can help monitor it and hopefully provide you some insight about how he is handling class.  I hope it gets better soon!

tmarieu
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I talked to him again today and he said he really doesn't like school. He even started crying a little when he said it. :( I will be setting up a meeting with his teacher to talk about it. 

Im wondering if the fingers in the mouth are because he's getting his 5 year molars??

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

He's too young/immature. I would look at pulling him. Putting him in a transitional program and then trying again next year.

Quoting tmarieu:

I talked to him again today and he said he really doesn't like school. He even started crying a little when he said it. :( I will be setting up a meeting with his teacher to talk about it. 

Im wondering if the fingers in the mouth are because he's getting his 5 year molars??

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Maybe he just isn't ready for full day school. I personally would pull him and put him back into prek and have him start kindergarten when he is 6.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)