Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Talking to this single dad from church & he tells me his boys have the last week in October off of school. They live in Michigan, we live in Ohio. I just asked if they are on fall break or something. But I have never heard of this! I know there is winter break (usually around Christmas) & spring break. But I have never heard of fall break (which he just confirmed it is fall break).

Anyone have this in their area? What area do you live in?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
lovingmommy4316
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I live in Georgia and we have... fall break, thanksgiving break, Christmas break,winter break( February ), and spring break.
I am like. Wtf ? All we had was thanksgiving,Christmas,and spring break !
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I live in Maryland. We don't have a Fall Break. I heard of it last year on CafeMom.
DaisyRae
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'm in Northern Indiana, its unheard of here. When we lived in Nicholasville KY the kids there had a week off for Fall break. Same in Texas. In FL the kids had a long weekend basically, started on Thursday and ended on Tuesday

Quoting mommaFruFru:

we live in southern indiana and get 2 weeks off for fall break.

My sdd lives in ky and only gets 2 days off :)

Quoting DaisyRae:

I live in Indiana and while we dont have it here in our District, I know that other areas do. Kentucky, Texas and Florida all have it (we have lived in each of those states). I guess it is fairly common. 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I like it!!They call it a balanced schedule,we get 2 weeks off after each quarter,well 1 for spring break and a week if snow make up days, instead of using holidays for them,like mlk daypres day... so we go a little longer but get morebreaks and days off through out the year

Quoting DaisyRae:

I'm in Northern Indiana, its unheard of here. When we lived in Nicholasville KY the kids there had a week off for Fall break. Same in Texas. In FL the kids had a long weekend basically, started on Thursday and ended on Tuesday

Quoting mommaFruFru:

we live in southern indiana and get 2 weeks off for fall break.

My sdd lives in ky and only gets 2 days off :)

Quoting DaisyRae:

I live in Indiana and while we dont have it here in our District, I know that other areas do. Kentucky, Texas and Florida all have it (we have lived in each of those states). I guess it is fairly common. 

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
It's year around school. Our city schools are this way but the county are not. Dd goes to city
socalxbombshell
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Our school gives the entire week of Thanksgiving off. That's in addition to two weeks for the winter break and a week for spring break.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
We have off the whole week of Thanksgiving. This year we don't because our new superintendent took it away but he's gone and I think we'll get it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
My college does but it's only 2 days. LOL The schools do not.
aj23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

We get the 2nd week in October for fall break plus the following Monday. It's a total of 6 school days off. 

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Quoting GwenMB:

In MN, we get a 4 day weekend in October for the teachers to go to a teachers conference (many of them don't go, though).  I've never thought of it as a fall break, but it is one.

For the last 20 years, my grandma, aunts & I did a ladies weekend for that weekend (my sisters & cousins have started joining us the last couple years).

MEA weekend is the best!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)