Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

does your school do this?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 27 Replies
I sent a note in saying that both kids will not be in school on friday. I didnt think about putting a reason down as it was never a problem. I got the note back with a sticky note saying they have to have a reason and a copy of the NEW policy. I have not had a chance to read the new policies, but in the policy it states that even though you write a note, that the school can deny your reason if they want and mark it as unexcused. The also say that if it something that is able to be done without missing school, then it would be unexcused. Then if they get so many during the year they suspend your child. So I sent back that it is for appts. But, I wonder if they agree although they are requesting the allergy appt needed to be done. Yes I know it is excused, but what is and is not in a schools eyes? Sry so long!!!
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

any medical reasons they excuse  , i have even asked if they needed a doctors note when we go in and they say our word is good enough.  I am nervous about an upcoming trip but 1-2 unexcused absences would not destroy her career.  We are taking an educational trip into canada  LOL.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Absences And Early Releases

Absences: Parents should contact the school by 9 a.m. if their child will miss school due to illness, family emergencies, or other excused reasons. At the elementary school level, the school will attempt to contact parents if a child is absent and no contact is made by 9 a.m.

Early Releases: A student wishing to leave school during school hours must have a note from a parent or guardian stating the reason and time of release. A parent or guardian also must sign out the student at the appointed hour.

If a student is going home by any other means than usual, the school office should be notified.

Attendance

All students ages 8 and under 18 years are required by Washington state law to attend school regularly. If a parent or guardian enrolls a child at 6 or 7 years of age, the child is required by law to attend the full school session. To ensure compliance, Evergreen Public Schools takes regular attendance in each school and has set a policy for excused and unexcused absences.

Parents or guardians must provide the school an excuse for any absence or late arrival in the form of a note or personal contact with school officials. (Please refer to your child’s individual school student handbook.)

Any absence not properly explained within three days of the student returning to school will not be excused without approval from an administrator.

Extended Absences: Absences of five days or more due to illness or other health conditions require a note from a doctor or appropriate medical provider.

Excused Absences

Valid reasons for excused absences include:

• Illness or health conditions
  • Family emergencies
  • Participation in school-approved activities
  • Parent-approved activities
  • Disciplinary action or short-term suspensions
  • Observance of religious holidays
  • Other absences as permitted by law

All other absences will be considered unexcused and may result in disciplinary action and affect a student’s grades. (Please refer to your child’s individual school student handbook.)

Pre-Arranged Absences: Elementary and secondary students must follow separate procedures to secure a pre-arranged absence, which includes vacations or other pre-planned extended activities.

Parents of elementary students must contact the school principal to gain approval for a pre-arranged absence.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I'm not sure exactly what our policy is but it's never been an issue so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

"Parent-approved activity" sounds like it could cover pretty much anything.  

Quoting frndlyfn:

Absences And Early Releases

Absences: Parents should contact the school by 9 a.m. if their child will miss school due to illness, family emergencies, or other excused reasons. At the elementary school level, the school will attempt to contact parents if a child is absent and no contact is made by 9 a.m.

Early Releases: A student wishing to leave school during school hours must have a note from a parent or guardian stating the reason and time of release. A parent or guardian also must sign out the student at the appointed hour.

If a student is going home by any other means than usual, the school office should be notified.

Attendance

All students ages 8 and under 18 years are required by Washington state law to attend school regularly. If a parent or guardian enrolls a child at 6 or 7 years of age, the child is required by law to attend the full school session. To ensure compliance, Evergreen Public Schools takes regular attendance in each school and has set a policy for excused and unexcused absences.

Parents or guardians must provide the school an excuse for any absence or late arrival in the form of a note or personal contact with school officials. (Please refer to your child’s individual school student handbook.)

Any absence not properly explained within three days of the student returning to school will not be excused without approval from an administrator.

Extended Absences: Absences of five days or more due to illness or other health conditions require a note from a doctor or appropriate medical provider.

Excused Absences

Valid reasons for excused absences include:

• Illness or health conditions
  • Family emergencies
  • Participation in school-approved activities
  • Parent-approved activities
  • Disciplinary action or short-term suspensions
  • Observance of religious holidays
  • Other absences as permitted by law

All other absences will be considered unexcused and may result in disciplinary action and affect a student’s grades. (Please refer to your child’s individual school student handbook.)

Pre-Arranged Absences: Elementary and secondary students must follow separate procedures to secure a pre-arranged absence, which includes vacations or other pre-planned extended activities.

Parents of elementary students must contact the school principal to gain approval for a pre-arranged absence.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of a school accepting a note that didn't give a reason why the child wasn't there.  I schedule appointments for after school hours.

BonitaM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I've never had an issue with taking DD out of school for anything.  Last year she was out for 3 weeks.  The first week she was sick and the following two weeks we went to Honduras.  I honestly have no idea what the policy is....I keep it but I don't bother to read it.  I'm her parent and if I say she's not going to school that day it's for a very good reason and they can say what they want about it.....if it were to cause her problems I'd raise hell. 

queencreekmom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM

You would have to have about 8 unexcused absences a semester for anything to happen if you are at a public school. I teach and people take their kids out all the time. Just say an appt and it will be fine.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

This I try my best never to do one during school hours.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I've never heard of a school accepting a note that didn't give a reason why the child wasn't there.  I schedule appointments for after school hours.

CafeMom Tickers
oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

we dont have to give a note until the return to school.

like my DD was home sick about 2 weeks after school started. i did email the teacher so she wouldnt be worried (all K teachers at the meeting asked us to do so) and then on the following Monday sent in a note that she was sick. they excused it.

she was late that same week bc i had to take her to the doc. it was excused.

i have no idea what they consider unexcused.

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I'm not exactly sure of the policy because this is a BRAND NEW SCHOOL the boys are attending.  Back To School night is next week so I'll be more informed then...I hope!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)