Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I'm going to kill whoever decided...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 124 Replies
9 moms liked this

Kids need to learn a different method of doing math.  Why can't they warn parents they aren't teaching long division and give a quick refresher on the new method so we don't look like idiots?  I have a Bachelor's but I still had to get my 8th grader to teach my 5th grader how to use the distributive method for division.  It's a cockamine method too imo.  It's an conspiracy of some kind I tell you.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I remember having to do this "new way" of doing math in 5th grade. All the parents complained. I mean, traditional or new-fangled, it all gets to the same answer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
We're having a huge problem with 5th grade math. We just moved to the Midwest from the West Coast. At my daughters old school in Washington they did that crazy, stupid math that you speak of. You can't just put 1+1=2 that isn't acceptable, you have to show and explain WHY it is, using word problems and number rainbows and all sorts of crap. My husband and I have been stumped for two years with that crap, we couldn't wrap our heads around it.

Now that we are in the Midwest, totally different. Her math worksheets are the math her Dad and I know how to do, basic, straight up quantitative figures. The problem is that my 5th grader has no earthly idea how to do it this way. She honestly didn't know that * means multiplication, and she had no idea what a long division symbol was. I thought she was joking, she was serious, she'd never seen one before. It's frustrating as hell.
CampClan
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I never could grasp math skills beyond elementary level. Luckily I have a (now retired) math teacher for a dad! My oldest is in AP Calculus & I definitely can not help him! Good thing he is a natural at it!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

What the crap is the distributive method?  confused

tnwp21
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Last year, I thought my son would give it up forever.  First, we learned short divison, somehow, the teacher forgot to teach the children how to do it before assigning the homework, this was a common complaint for all the parents in the class.  He was so proud and happy, until he received it back all marked up, and instructing us to use long division.  So we learned that the next night and used the decimal, as that was included in their math unit (we meaning him).  Again, it came home all marked up long division using a remainder, not decimals, was written all in capital letters (yelling on paper).  I was so peeved I made an appointment with the principal. 

My son knew I was hot, I uttered my battle cry....I have had just about enough of this!  When I say those words, my husband says, watch out she's in mamma mode and my son corrects him (red hot mamma mode) lol.

angry

kameka
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I flipping HATE the way math is taught.
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Is that anything like hte "estimation method"? (wtf?)
Quoting steelcrazy:

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM

oh my. my DD is in K so i guess im in for it later on.

i dont remember the methods.i remember my gma helping me with math and the teachers were pissed bc she came up with the answer but not in their way. but there was nothing showing her their way so she taught me the only way she knew how.

*sigh* im screwed!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:12 AM
2 moms liked this

It's taking the numbers and breaking them into into pieces that are easy to multiply mentally then adding the products. 

25x 3

20x 3= 60

5 x 3= 15

60+15=75

Not the best example since you can multiply 25 x 3 in your head anyway, but you get the idea. The kids end up being able to multiply two and three digit numbers in their heads.

I actually had always done it like this. I just figured it out at some point and never really even noticed I was doing it. When I saw it in the new materials I was kicking myself for never teaching my students to do it. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

malibucj
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:15 AM
I was taught by the distributive method in school. Hmmm..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)