Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

alcoholic/former drug users watching kids

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 19 Replies
Would any one let former drug users or alcoholics watch ur kids? Even if they've been clean for 2 yrs from what u can tell. Would it make any diff if it were fam? I ask bc my x & his gf were on meth etc & so lost custody (she was prego @ time), cleaned up from what anyone can tell & got custody bk only partial not full. Like everyother wkend. So for my daughter's 10 th bday she was telling me her best friends mom (who has only met my x 2 & never seen his home or done play date) has agreed to let her daughter have a sleep over for bday. Granted I think this is great for my daughter however it makes me queation this moms judgement. Also found out same mom has her bro so lil girls uncle who is an alcoholic babysitting while she's at work. Granted i like the mom & this lil girl. My so says no way is my bd ever to have another sleep over at this girla plc. & what about fam...let kids 10 -5 have a sleep over w a fam member that drinks just bc their fam. I say no but what are ur opinions? m
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Is the alcoholic still deep into the addiction or are they recovering?  That would be my concern.

JaSeaKnight3
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I dont know to be honest
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Addicts can recover.  But my kids safety is important. The person would have to have a very long record of sobriety that I totally trusted before I would let them watch my kids. So if, say, grandma had a drinking problem when she was young and has been clean for years, and I've been around her enough to know for sure she wasn't drinking then it wouldn't keep me from letting her sit the kids. But if I had any doubt, my kids safety would win out and I'd say no. And someone with an active driking problem? No way.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:00 AM

My older sister is a recovering alcoholic, and  recovering drug user, she watches my children, I trust her completely. She has been clean and sober though for 20 years. She has 2 teenage girls and just finished adopting an 8 month old baby. I think though if she had only  been clean and sober for less then 5 years I probably wouldn't let her watch my kids.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM

If they are clean and sober and I have seen them clean and sober for awhile sure they can sleep over or watch my kids. Now my alcoholic MIL hell no she cannot stay sober long enough to watch my children. I allowed her once when my 7 was a baby and we were visiting. She could wait the two hours till we got home to drink. I came home and she was drinking and I was pissed. Shes not allowed to even touch my kids while shes been drinking. 

kellysp6637
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM

No, I'm sorry I just would not be able to.   But I guess it would also depend on how long they have been sober, what they have done with themselves and their life since they've been sober, etc.  This is just too much of a loaded questions because there are too many scenarios that could factor into the decision.

eztwins
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Honestly too many conditions for a blanket yes or no. I do believe people should not be punished forever for mistakes like that however it's a case by case type of scenario.
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Let me offer this...there are so many people out there with drug addiction in the past it's a good chance you already have and didn't know it. Many people don't openly share that information
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GagaNTattooS
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
If that's the case I wouldn't leave my son with his father... druggs are powerful but he beat it... drinking nit so much you can't be drunk with a house full of kids. I might have a glass of wine but that's where it ends.
jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

It would depend on my level of comfort

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)