Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

going to the bus stop alone?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 43 Replies
my son is in third grade and started walking home from the bus alone last year. this year, we're opening a home daycare that is scheduled to open at seven, he has to leave for the bus at 8:15, so I can't walk him and my fiance leaves for work at five. my question is at what age will you allow your kids to go to the bus alone? he's eight, I feel that might be too young but I don't know what to do once the daycare opens. which will be soon
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM
3 moms liked this

Have him walk with a neighbor kid.  Presumably there is more than one kid going to the bus stop.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

My boys began walking home from the bus in kindergarten, and by third grade I was fine with them walking to the bus stop alone. 

Starshine-bela
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM
there are two others at his stop, one goes to a different school and the other lives right there and he doesn't really like her. I'd send him with his friend but he goes to the other bus stop at the other end of the road and we're not allowed to change stops.

Quoting mjande4:

Have him walk with a neighbor kid.  Presumably there is more than one kid going to the bus stop.

Starshine-bela
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I probably would've let him start walking home alone sooner but the school policy is they can't till second grade. he says he gets scared sometimes walking home alone

Quoting steelcrazy:

My boys began walking home from the bus in kindergarten, and by third grade I was fine with them walking to the bus stop alone. 

mlb456
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you see the stop from your house? Does the bus normally come at the same time everyday?
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I let mine go to the bus stop alone starting in 1st gr.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

If you aren't comfortable letting him go on his own, then take the day care children for a daily walk to the bus stop.  Day care children are permitted to leave the house and go for group walks.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
How many kids will you have? I used to have to walk 7 kids with me to take my oldest to the bus stop. Ages, 1,1,2,2,3,4,&5
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

How far away is the bus stop? My ds is eight and he walks to and from school alone (it's only a block and a half).

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
The bus stop is in my parkinglot a few feet away. I take my oldest out at 7:30 to catch the bus still, he is 9 and he goes to the 4/5 building and they start earlier than the k-3 kids. My two younger ones go at 8:30 same stop and I take them out too. They are kindergarten and 2nd grade. My 9yo walks back by himself but its right out front. My younger two I get them an hour later though but a parent has to be there to get kinder and 1st graders of the bus. Some parent have a little further to walk though so they don't want the little kids wondering all over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)