Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I'm awkward.

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am a nice person and easy to get along with but I am not one of those people who easily strikes up a conversation with people and make friends easily. I am a bit alternative and a bit younger than most of the moms here who have kids in my daughters class. I have social anxiety I guess you could say.

Anyone else feel this way how do you handle it and have you ever been able to make friends with any of the parents or is it difficult for you as well?
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I have the same problem. I've gotten better since taking drama in h.s. and college, but I still get "shyness attacks" (as I call it).

I usually just casually join in a conversation. If it works, great; if not, oh well. I don't have a lot of close friends who say, "Hey, we're meeting up here, come join us," but I do have a nice group of casual friends who willingly include me if I'm there and seem glad to see me if it's an "open to whoever can make it" type thing (like our neighborhood's Ladies' Night Out dinners). Since I'm an introvert who needs her alone time, it works out pretty well for me.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I am 30 and the youngest mom with my 11 yr old dd's friends parents and being social is very awkward for myself as well. lol I know where my dd gets it from. lol

I get looks and stares by the other parents, and dont want apart of it in anyway. lol My other dd is 5 and in kinder. I dont get along with her friends parents, but thats because most of them are all old high school classmates and we just never liked eacother to begin with...ecept for one, she used to be my math tutor in high school and we talk at school stuff but thats about it. lol

MustBNapTime
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Im awkward as well & have social anxiety... Im also overweight which makes me even more self coinscience...

It gets in the way of being as active as I want to be at school, but I do try my best to go to things that DD is doing at school.

I have not made friends with any of the moms at school.

Barabell
by Barbara on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I'm awkward and shy too, especially when in crowds. I try to stick to smaller social setting since it helps me stay more relaxed.
jaytee
by Jen on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a talker and it is still hard for me to make friends.

I've been told that most women (who are older) aren't looking for new friends because they are happy with the ones they have. It's about quality not quantity :-)

cindilou13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I'm awkward and shy socially as well, and I have the opposite problem-I'm older than a lot of the moms.  I have some different beliefs and values then many so it's sometimes hard to find common ground outside of 'our kids get along' too. 

Irishmommy860
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I am the exact same way. I was never this bad when I worked, but now that I'm a SAHM and my day is just my girls I find that I have nothing to discuss with anyone who isn't within my family and circle. I have never been one to just go out and make friends either...I hate it

Rockabella
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I am 24 and my dd is 7. It seems like a lot of the moms and dads are in their thirties or forties. Not that there's anything wrong with that just seems like we'd have less in common

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I am 30 and the youngest mom with my 11 yr old dd's friends parents and being social is very awkward for myself as well. lol I know where my dd gets it from. lol

I get looks and stares by the other parents, and dont want apart of it in anyway. lol My other dd is 5 and in kinder. I dont get along with her friends parents, but thats because most of them are all old high school classmates and we just never liked eacother to begin with...ecept for one, she used to be my math tutor in high school and we talk at school stuff but thats about it. lol

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I am shy and dont know any of my kids friends parents. i stay to myself.
mickstinator
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I feel exactly that way. I had my son when I was 18, so I'm acutely aware of the age difference between me and most all other moms. I am friendly, but so not the initiator. I just don't know HOW to make friends! : /

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)