Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my son got choked!!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 16 Replies
my son does NOT like fighting even When someone is hitting him. I got a call today that Josh got choked at school (different boy). The boy was sitting on the carpet away from Josh and he came up to him and choked him. Teacher said josh was turning colors and josh did not do anything to defend himself. Josh had a red mark around his neck. The teacher broke it up in time. Im so upset. He did not do anything! Josh is very sensitive and such. How can i get him to defend himself?
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM

can you role play with him and show him how to non violently lift his arms between the other persons to get them away from the neck....... I would look into martial arts as well so that he can learn safe self defense and how to handle the situation.

mama-smurf
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I tried showing him but hes very very sensitive. He wont do it. He cries instantly no matter what

Quoting frndlyfn:

can you role play with him and show him how to non violently lift his arms between the other persons to get them away from the neck....... I would look into martial arts as well so that he can learn safe self defense and how to handle the situation.

CheyG
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Are there any self defence classes or karate classes you can put him in? 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:26 PM

This...teach him there is an appropriate time and place for fightiing..self-defense is oneof them. 

Quoting CheyG:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mama-smurf
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I am going to look that up but what good would it do if he wont fight.

Quoting CheyG:

sonshining
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Maybe don't tell him to "fight back" but tell him he can help himself. Have him scream, yell, and get the teachers attention. Tell him he needs to try and break free, or get away, push the child etc. Since he is so sensitive, he wont want to do anything that is "fighting" but remind him he has to do something to stop the behavior and as long as he's defending himself, he won't get in trouble.

CheyG
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

It should help build his confedence. The classes aren't about just fighting. They teach a lot more than that. 

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting CheyG:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I agree.  Martial arts about self confidence, independance, knowing how to handle dangerous situations using non violent and physical methods for self defense.  Does his dad talk to him about how to defend himself using words or just being loud rather than striking out at the person hurting him?

Quoting CheyG:

It should help build his confedence. The classes aren't about just fighting. They teach a lot more than that. 

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting CheyG:

kaidansmylife
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Teach him appropriate defense strategies. show him that if someone is hurting him, it is ok to protect himself. my 7yo is super sensitive too we took a defense class at the Y. Helped loads.
Precious333
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM
That makes me want to cry! Definitely teach him and make sure the teacher are keepong an eye on that boy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN