Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WHAT THE F•••!?!!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 76 Replies

Apaarently in the south it is LEGAL for the school to paddle your kids? did anyone else know this or am I the only one that didn't know? apparently my son who has been acting out for the past week... for the first time ever, has started acting out a little on the bus...well the guy from the school who called me about it, told me "if you want, I can spank him with the paddle" .. I just sat in silence and hung up because I instantly started crying,...

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes  I knew this.   It was a news feature and most high school students would choose the paddling over suspension or detention.  It was done privately, not in front of an audience and very controlled.   What guy from school called you?  A teacher, a janitor, the principal, the superintendant?

LEY1307
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM
It's illegal in public schools here in Alabama. However, in private schools it is still legal.
alysG
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It was the assistant principle I believe... I;m from cali, so back home when I was growing up, it was illegal to lay a hand on any child... so this is just a reallll big shock to me and all I've been doing is crying... I believe in correcting my child... and teaching him right from wrong... but not to conflict pain on him.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes  I knew this.   It was a news feature and most high school students would choose the paddling over suspension or detention.  It was done privately, not in front of an audience and very controlled.   What guy from school called you?  A teacher, a janitor, the principal, the superintendant?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM

INFLICT pain on him  ........ I believe you have to sign a permission slip.  Which state are you in now?  If i remember from the news program only the Principal could use this consequence towards students and maybe the assistant principal but can not remember since it has been a few years.

Quoting alysG:

It was the assistant principle I believe... I;m from cali, so back home when I was growing up, it was illegal to lay a hand on any child... so this is just a reallll big shock to me and all I've been doing is crying... I believe in correcting my child... and teaching him right from wrong... but not to conflict pain on him.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Amber5151
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
In Texas you have to sign a permission slip to allow that kind of punishment. My parents never allowed it and neither will I, however I will punish at home.
alysG
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Thanks for that correction...lol... but yeah I am in Mississippi! and now that I have been talking to a few friends here, they all say its the south, its always been done... I just never knew until now..lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

INFLICT pain on him  ........ I believe you have to sign a permission slip.  Which state are you in now?  If i remember from the news program only the Principal could use this consequence towards students and maybe the assistant principal but can not remember since it has been a few years.

Quoting alysG:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this
"He has been acting out for the past week."

What have you tried at home to curb the behavior? If it is an on-going problem, maybe a paddling will get the point across...

I know in many states, it is legal to paddle, it just isn't done and most of the time requires parent consent.
happymommy1105
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
5 moms liked this

Yep you are alone in that. 

Not sure why it warrants tears either. 

All you had to do was say No.  

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

VII. What kind of discipline is allowed in school?

The Mississippi Department of Education allows school districts to develop their own disciplinary policies. 

Schools are allowed to use the following disciplinary procedures: corporal punishment (hitting students 

on the buttocks with a paddle), I.S.S. (In School Suspension), suspension (out of school), and expulsion 

(suspended for the remainder of the school year). If your principal recommends a suspension of 10 days 

or more or an expulsion, you have the right to a due process hearing. This hearing will enable you and 

your parent(s) a second chance to plead your case with representatives from your school and the school 

district. 

Check your student handbook for the discipline policy for 

your school. The handbook is supposed to be approved by 

the school board at the beginning of each school year. If 

there are things in your handbook that you don’t agree with or 

things that you’d like to add, you can submit changes to the

alysG
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe because theres a possibility that I could be pregnant and my hormones are out of whack.. 

Quoting happymommy1105:

Yep you are alone in that. 

Not sure why it warrants tears either. 

All you had to do was say No.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN