Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

eating whenever

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 46 Replies

Do you let your kids free-range in the kitchen, eating whatever they want when they want?  Or do you have set times to eat, or have them ask you first before getting something?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yes, I always have.  My kids are VERY active and growing and I do not police their food. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a teenage boy, so there is no policing his food intake.  lol  I don't believe in making food an issue in the home, so my children eat when they are hungry not when someone else thinks that they should.

Lennyloves
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Times for us are not structured. But we do have, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and sometimes snack rule in out house.
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I have them ask. Ds will eat and eat and eat if I let him, so I don't. Dd doesn't eat enough. If I let her graze shed never eat a real meal, just peanut butter and crackers all day
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I don't make food an issue, if they're hungry they can eat. I don't buy junk food so I'm not too worried about their snacking. If it became a problem that they weren't eating meals because of snacking I would have to put some limits on it.

kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not let them eat whenever because then they won't eat their meals! They ask and depending on the time I will let them have something. I'm hoping as they get older this won't be an issue and I can quit doing this. I cannot imagine my teenager asking for food. lol 

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

They have to ask.  Depending on the time of day, they are asked when they get home from school if they want something, and they know that if they wait until too close to supper the answer will be no - ds2 is always "starving to death" 15 min before I get supper on the table :/.   I don't have an unlimited supply of everything in the house so sometimes it's not "no snack" it's "not that because there's only 2 left and they're for in your lunches tomorrow, you can have..." and I'll give them a few other options.

Dodie702
by Doriane on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My kids are only 5 and 3. They ask for their snacks when they are hungry.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM

It is a mix of both here. If they want something that they cannot reach, they have to ask. We do breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes evening snack. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My kids can eat whenever and whatever they want. Every sunday we pre-cut up fruits and veggies into portion sizes and diced up turkey keilbassa and cheeses as well. So they can grab and go as they please through out the day and night (when home) we have a small drawer with some other snacks in it. Homemade items, rice krispie squares, brownies, banana breads, chex mixes etc......and they can grab and go as they like.

My kids are 11 and 5 and 19.5 months old. They do not need to ask, not even the lo. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)