Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

help with my kindergardener? ETA

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 60 Replies
My ds is 5 this year and as had two years of preschool.

In his pre-k3, his teacher told him he was stupid and couldn't learn. After that and several issues with other studets that teacher was fired.
Pre-K4 was much better but he never learned much more than just enough to get by and his teacher was all "don't worry he will catch up"

Now he is in Kindergarden and not catching up. He excels in math and can add and subtract up to some two digit numbers and he also excels in art, PE, and music.
In everything else, he recieves P's. We work with him here at home. He has sound cards and a cd, we play matching games, sing songs to help him remember and he still cannot recognize the majority of his letters. He can recognize his name but if you put the letters out of order, he cannot tell you the letters. He cannot recall stories done in class even after they study them all week. He cannot recognize sight words even after going over them every night for two weeks. (Three words)
He is always getting frusterated to the point of crying trying to write one letter (almost any letter correctly) and has begun getting very angry doing simply tasks for homework. And he is not an angry child. He is normally very easy going and sweet. He frequently tells me he is stupid and can't learn and I try to show him that it isn't true. He is amazing at building and numbers and whatnot and I remind him of that.
The other issue is him constantly telling me that other kids call him stupid and fat and ugly. He tells me he doesn't have many friends. I asked one of the girls who plays soccer with him who is his friend and she confirmed that he plays with only two or three of the girls and one boy in the class. She also said that sometimes the other kids are mean to him but they don't do it in class anymore because they get in trouble.
I plan on requesting a conference next week with the teacher who has been great about communication so far. But I want to sit down with her and see what we can work out.
But I have no clue what to do at this point. I am about ready to cry with him. I see him focusing so hard and he can't get it.
And then he has his brother who is a year older and advanced. His brother helps as much as he can too trying to help teach him but he asks why it is so easy for him. I explain that different things are easy for different people but it is still hard.
Does anyone have any suggestions about anything I can do to help him?

Eta thanks for your opinions ladies. I kind of had an idea in my mind but you ladies confirmed that I am not completely off with my thinking. I will definitely go forward with talking to his teacher.
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wills_Wifey
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM
4 moms liked this
I know its still early, but have you thought of having him tested for learning disabilities? I ask because I am dyslexic and until my parents had me tested and found the proper tools to help me learn, I had a really hard time in school.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This is what i was thinking.  There could be something in the processing of information that he is lacking.   Have you tried Starfall.com with him yet?

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

I know its still early, but have you thought of having him tested for learning disabilities? I ask because I am dyslexic and until my parents had me tested and found the proper tools to help me learn, I had a really hard time in school.

chocolat-smiles
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
THIS

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

Elayna90
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Well that has been a thought for me because my oldest has some issues, just not academically.. Anytime I bring it up to the pedi, she is set on him having ADHD, which I disagree with and so have all of his teachers in school and Sunday school. I also specifically mentioned dyslexia because one of the issues is he writes most of his letter upside down or backwards, even the ones that are easy and he struggles when copying words. But pedi told me he is too young to test and just pushed the concern aside.

When I am able to have a conference, I am planning on asking the teacher what she thinks about having him evaluated through the school and just going around the pedi.
He also seems to have a retaining and memory issue. He says he can't hear but passes every hearing test.

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

Elayna90
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
That is in my plans tonight :) the teacher sent me the name of that site today.
And I tend to agree that he is having an issue processing because he struggles still following even two step directions.

Quoting frndlyfn:

This is what i was thinking.  There could be something in the processing of information that he is lacking.   Have you tried Starfall.com with him yet?

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

My dd has a processing disorder which sometimes it makes it harder for her to comprehend stories and OMG she hates writing things down.   She is in 2nd grade now and thriving.  For reading last year, she would read the book and then dictate to me what to write in her journal for that subject.  This has no impact on their intelligence and it sounds like he could be more math minded than literary minded.

Quoting Elayna90:

And I tend to agree that he is having an issue processing because he struggles still following even two step directions.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

Danielle17T
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes this! I'm also dyslexic but I was tested early so I got the extra help I needed!

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

oooomelissaoooo
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i hear dyslexia cant be diagnosed this early but im not 100% sure on that. my dd also in K writes a few things backwards

Elayna90
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
He is very math minded. He has always been good with numbers and hands-on stuff. It isn't just stories though. I am frusterated right along with him :( I wish I could do his writing for him because he really struggles with it aand it is probably the MOST frusterating for him. He does amazing at some stuff, lego kits for example, but has trouble with a 12 piece puzzle.

Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd has a processing disorder which sometimes it makes it harder for her to comprehend stories and OMG she hates writing things down.   She is in 2nd grade now and thriving.  For reading last year, she would read the book and then dictate to me what to write in her journal for that subject.  This has no impact on their intelligence and it sounds like he could be more math minded than literary minded.

Quoting Elayna90:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Wills_Wifey:

Elayna90
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM
There are a few letters that are easy and can be confused easily. But he does it with the majority of them even after being corrected or seeing it right in front of him and I am not so sure that it's normal to such a big extent.

Quoting oooomelissaoooo:

i hear dyslexia cant be diagnosed this early but im not 100% sure on that. my dd also in K writes a few things backwards

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)