Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

He just won't do his homework.

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Max
  • 78 Replies
6 moms liked this

I hear this all the time from moms on CM and IRL.

"He just won't do homework. He refuses!"

I find this really troublesome. I understand that kids don't always want to do homework. I understand that kids say no when they don't want to do some things. 

What I don't understand is parents allowing it. How is an elementary school child just permitted not to do what their parent tells them to?  Why isn't there a clear consequence that leaves the child with no other option but to do it?

A child refusing to do homework isn't a homework issue IMO. Any child who is able to refuse to do something their parent tells them to at this age is headed for big trouble in my eyes. Yet it seems like many parents view this as an isolated homework issue. 

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aetrom
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Well, speaking as a parent with a child resistent to homework i would agree that at this age it should still get done.... Though last year for us it was torture.... Hoping for a better year.

And in the end you can take away everything until they do their homework but try as i may i can NOT make him do it. He has to move the pen. And sometimes he would rather punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree 100%. The sad part is I see the end result at the high school level and believe you me, it's not pretty.  The expectations, study habits, etc. are formed from day one. 

tnwp21
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Some of it is our culture and don't ask me where it is coming from.  I talked to my son about it, as it completely confuses me,  I just asked, on what planet are you allowed to say no to a parental request, for your own well being.  He laughs at me and goes and does what I ask.  By the way, he says some kids think the parents are supposed to do stuff and help us, so I explained, that at 9 years old, parents switch to teaching you how to do things yourself, as you will have the rest of your life to practice.  My son thinks I am the funniest mom in the world, however, I still don't know why he gets such a kick out of me.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree. Too many parents (younger) were raised to feel entitled and they are passing that on. 

Quoting tnwp21:

Some of it is our culture and don't ask me where it is coming from.  I talked to my son about it, as it completely confuses me,  I just asked, on what planet are you allowed to say no to a parental request, for your own well being.  He laughs at me and goes and does what I ask.  By the way, he says some kids think the parents are supposed to do stuff and help us, so I explained, that at 9 years old, parents switch to teaching you how to do things yourself, as you will have the rest of your life to practice.  My son thinks I am the funniest mom in the world, however, I still don't know why he gets such a kick out of me.

mommy053008
by Maria on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
So far we haven't had homework apparently they have a no homework policy in her kindergarten class they said they work hard enough in class however they do send in stuff for projects (we are making pumpkin pie play dough this weekend to send to class). Anyway my DD loves school I have a feeling homework won't be a problem. She is always asking to so homework now!
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM
9 moms liked this

I completely disagree.  It's perfectly normal and acceptable for a child to refuse to do homework.

By the same token, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for the parent to refuse to allow them access to their x-box, tv, or other games.  Parents can also refuse to pay the cell phone bills and refuse to drive them to the mall.  Apparently it's a big secret to some, but parents can even refuse to let the child get up outta that chair!

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting aetrom:

Well, speaking as a parent with a child resistent to homework i would agree that at this age it should still get done.... Though last year for us it was torture.... Hoping for a better year.

And in the end you can take away everything until they do their homework but try as i may i can NOT make him do it. He has to move the pen. And sometimes he would rather punishment.

Do you pick him up from school?  Or does he take the bus?

Momsthename0609
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If my child fights me about doing his homework at home, he stays in at recess to do it at school. This has worked for the last 2 years, he doesn't want to miss recess so he does his homework. He complains sometimes but he still does it. Lol
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Quoting Momsthename0609:

If my child fights me about doing his homework at home, he stays in at recess to do it at school. This has worked for the last 2 years, he doesn't want to miss recess so he does his homework. He complains sometimes but he still does it. Lol

Some schools have a policy of not letting kids miss recess, or not letting them miss the whole recess.

Momsthename0609
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
His school doesn't, the teachers like to work with the parents to make sure the children do well in school. If I have to I can find another consequence though.

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting Momsthename0609:

Some schools have a policy of not letting kids miss recess, or not letting them miss the whole recess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN