Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

To harsh of a punishment?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 36 Replies

Yesterday dd 8 almost got kicked off the bus.  She was standing while the bus was moving, talking at the tracks, said hurtful things to a girl on the bus and made her cry, was yelling at the other kids on the bus and calling them names, she was turned around with her legs in the aisle and was caught eating chips on the bus.  When I was told she almost got kicked off she lied to me and said "Nothing happened."  The driver looked at me and said "yes she did almost get kicked off the bus."  DD then told me 3 things she did.  I had her start by writing the bus driver an apology for her actions and had her list each action.  Turned out she lied to me again about everything she did on the bus.  Then I had her write an apology to the girl (was her friend) she made cry.  She again lied to me about what she did/said to make her cry. DD had to write out sentences for each offense stated above and is grounded for the weekend.  NO t.v, NO toys, NO festival.  Allowed to sit in her room and read book.

My mom says it's to harsh of a punishment because she's 8.  She's in 3rd grade and has rode the bus since Head Start and knows the rules.  She knows what she did was wrong.  Do you think this punishment is too harsh? or not harsh enough?

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:05 AM
How long is she grounded? My kids wouldn't see the light of day for a very long time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rugratsmommy4
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

A week of grounding is what I dealt out.  Dh stands by me.  But family seems to think "I am overreacting".

Quoting mommyof11050307:

How long is she grounded? My kids wouldn't see the light of day for a very long time.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

That sounds like an appropriate level and length of punishment. 

Liastele
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Not harsh enough. She knows better and is old enough to follow the rules. There is no reason for her to be mean to other kids or disrespecting the bus driver.

I'd call the bus garage and see if she could come sweep out the buses one night as a punishment.

megs2boys
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM
4 moms liked this

By 8 she can follow the rules. What she was doing was deliberate and naughty, i would absolutely stick by your punishment. I don't think it is too harsh at all.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I'm with you on this. She is old enough to know that kind of behavior is unacceptable
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
That's nothing and your doing right by your child. She needs to learn how to treat people.

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

A week of grounding is what I dealt out.  Dh stands by me.  But family seems to think "I am overreacting".

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinMomma122304
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM

That's pretty much exactly how I would have punished my 8 year old 3rd grader.  I don't think you're over-reacting at all.

cjsbmom
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Your mom is wrong. I think it's appropriate punishment given the fact that she not only did those things, but then repeatedly lied to you about doing them. 

gramattmom
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree she needs to be punished, personally I dont think you are harsh enough...I am one of those "mean" parents and they would not see the light of day for a looooooonnnnnngggggg time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)