Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ALWAYS sick???

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 28 Replies

Seems like ever since my son started Kindergarten, he is ALWAYS sick! Like every week he is either running a fever, throwing up, or has a cold and headache! Is this normal!? Im so stressed out!

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rugratsmommy4
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
My youngest dd gets like that every year especially now that schools started. Kids pass it to kids. It's a vicious cycle
ProundMommy_08
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Is it normal to be sick every week though? confused

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

My youngest dd gets like that every year especially now that schools started. Kids pass it to kids. It's a vicious cycle

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM

It can be at first be normal since he is being introduced to new strains.  He can go to school with a cold though.  Pack extra tissues in his back pack and remind him to cover mouth when he coughs

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes,it's normal until he builds up his immune system. DD was sick for the first 3 years of preschool with pneumonia every year that put her in the hospital for days. Now she is 6 and rarely gets sick, just a cold here and there. I give her vitamin C liquid and that has helped out at lot too.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

If this is his first school experience, especialy if he didn't go to day care, then being sick all the time would be very normal.  It will take some time for his immature immune system to be built up. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

It's normal. Ds1 was sick a lot when he started preschool. He was again when we changed school districts- new district, new kids, new strains of germs. On the plus side, ds1 brought everything home and shared w/ ds2 and dd, so they don't get sick anywhere near as often as ds1 did.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

it happens.  both my kids were sick a lot at first. My dd has actually gotten so that for the last 2 years she has only missed school 1 day for illness (her own... she did miss when I was too sick to drive)

My ds especially got strep throat several times in k, 1st and even 2nd which for him means missing at least a wk. of school (he gets 104+ fevers and it takes 3-4 days of antibiotics b/f he starts getting better).  But by the end of 2nd and all of 3rd he hasn't gotten sick much. 

So there's hope.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

This. In fact, first year teachers routinely go through this too.

Quoting steelcrazy:

If this is his first school experience, especialy if he didn't go to day care, then being sick all the time would be very normal.  It will take some time for his immature immune system to be built up. 

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

So true. My first year working in childcare I was constantly sick. I have built a great immunity now a days. ;)

Quoting mjande4:

This. In fact, first year teachers routinely go through this too.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM

It is, if his immune system wasn't previously built up. 

My older son missed a decent portion of day care due to illness, usally fevers of Unexplained orgins. 

DS #2 missed maybe 2 days of preschool. By the time he went to preschool he had 4 yrs of of his brother bringing home germs. 

My youngest only missed 4 days of K last year. 

Every time he got a cold as a baby/toddler I would tell myself it was one more that he would be immue to.

Quoting ProundMommy_08:

Is it normal to be sick every week though? confused

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)