Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How often do you play with your child(ren)?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

The world of play day post got me thinking about this. When I was growing up I do not remember my parents playing with us at all. I know they took us on vacations to fun places like Disneyland and other amusement park etc. I remember playing catch with my dad when I joined a softball team but I think we only did that once. I had a sister so I usually just played with her and then when I got older I played outside with other neighborhood kids. What about only children who do not have siblings do you feel obligated to play with them? For those that say they are not responsible for entertaining their children do you play with them ever?

Personally I love being around my daughter. I may not always want to play kid games but I always like hanging out with her. My issue is time. I am a working single mom so I spend most of my free time doing dishes and laundry and cleaning and shopping so playing is usually at the lower end of the priorities but I do try to get some play time in with her. I am just curious to hear others opinions of this.

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

We play with her alot but also encourage self play or playing with other children when we go to the park.   At home we play board games, do crafts, read books , etc.   I love when she creates a play with her toys and will perform it for us.

adoption2013
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Yes I play with her.

starshine9
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM
We play Uno, Stratigo, Wii, Cards, Crafts and we go to the park n play basketball (ok I watch bc Im not good, but they still want me to play so I miss some baskets first). Alot of fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I forgot all about UNO I used to love that game. I think I may go and pick it up tomorrow. The Wii is a lot of fun and great exercise I am always so sore after doing the dancing game.

Quoting starshine9:

We play Uno, Stratigo, Wii, Cards, Crafts and we go to the park n play basketball (ok I watch bc Im not good, but they still want me to play so I miss some baskets first). Alot of fun.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Probably not as much as I should.  I have one-on-one time with each of them.  I encourage and participate in their interests.  We do game nights and other family type things.  Still, I definitely do not "play" with them nearly as much

Rocks2bAMom2
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Not often enough.  I feel crappy about it too; this is definitely something I have to work on.

LaughCryLive
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother always told me that she wasn't my friend and to go play and leave her alone.  I may not play with my child 24/7 but I do spend a lot of time with her and do take some time to play whatever she wants.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:47 AM
No,I do not play with them often. On occasion we will play games,ir daddy will play legos.

I take care of them, love them,and such.Playing cars and legos or whatever isn't something we enjoy doing together
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:34 AM

It depends on what your definition of "play" is.  We have a family game night every Sunday which is our board game night.  My husband plays video games with our boys too.  I am a puzzle fiend so they kids do those with me too. 

tnwp21
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Not enough, we used to play video games together, Mario super bros...but the discs died on our two favorite games and he is more in to basketball with the neighborhood boys and to be honest, I love when he goes out to play and now understand, why our parents had absolutely no problem with us heading for the door.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)