Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Common Core

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 48 Replies
Common core. Love it? Hate it? Indifferent? Why? This is in my sons school (2nd grade) has this. It's only been a few weeks and I'm not sure what I think yet. He's always been so far above grade level that I'm not 100% sure how this is going to affect him.
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM

There are several posts in the group about this topic. You nay want to search for those also. :-)

Nutball3
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
^^^ thanks. I'm mobile and it's hard to search sometimes.
stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I was just coming here to post about it.
I'm trying really hard to remain relatively neutral about it, at least around my daughter. I don't want her to think it's too hard for her and not try in school. That said, she's in 1st grade this year and part of the lesson plan requires the teacher to have the children sit still and listen while she reads for 45 minutes to the children about science- the human body, the frozen tundra. I can't get my 6 year old to sit still through a 10 minute meal. Even when she's playing on the computer at home, she's standing and wiggling. She just doesn't sit. I recognize it's a skill that is important to have- to be able to sit- but I think it's unrealistic to expect a child this young to sit and pay attention for that long.
My daughter is a young 1st grader, having just turned 6 in August. I have been told by both her PreK and kindergarten teachers that she is immature.

My daughter is also relatively stressed, but I can't tell if it's because of the adjustment of being back in school after summer break or if it's because the lesson plan is tough.
I think so far she's doing well with the curriculum. She's an average student. I hope this doesn't cause her to get behind or get frustrated with school. I can see how this could potentially cause a higher rate of drop outs.
I'm not really sure how I feel. I want my children to succeed in life and do well. I also want them to enjoy school like I did. I loved going to school. I always enjoyed it (until those rough middle school years! LOL). My daughter has begged me to homeschool her. I'm giving it more time, I have no plans to homeschool her. I am not a teacher. I can teach her some things, yes, but it's not my area of expertise.
I'm hoping it'll get easier for her, hoping she can keep up.
*fingers crossed*

stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, my brother and his wife are both middle school teachers in a neighboring state. They are all for the Common Core. Both of them are teachers who challenge their students. Many of their students have thanked them after graduation for giving them tough assignments, making them think, helping them to become better students by pushing themselves.
It sounds great on paper, but I know lots of kids just don't have that drive. Lots of kids want an easy class. Lots of kids aren't focused like their students seem to be. I fear the common core will push kids too hard, and cause many to drop out.
Not only that, but I have friends with kids in high school who are seriously running out of classes. My friend's son is a junior in high school and he has his entire senior year planned out with college level classes. That's great, I suppose, but his mother has to pay hundreds of dollars for him to take the college level classes. I guess it helps make having a college education easier, since you can get some credits while still in high school. But seriously, the kid has run out of classes to take. What's the sense of pushing the curriculum back (1st graders learning what 2nd graders used to learn) when the high school kids are PAYING for an education at a public school during their junior and senior years? It makes no sense, that they literally run out of classes to take. *smh*
I dont really know how I feel... but I know change is never easy and never happily greeted.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Gag. I'll elaborate later when I'm not mobile.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
7 moms liked this

There are a ton of mistruths floating around out there about common core.  The biggest one is that everyone's curriculum is getting harder or easier.  That is not the case.  The purpose of common core is to allign what children learn across the country.  So some schools will be learning things much sooner than they did before and some will be learning them later.  Another myth is that common core is forcing teachers to read all of these horrible books to our children.  When in fact, common core doesn't dictate excatly how the material is taught.  It is up to the individual schools to determine exactly how to implement the concepts and choose which books the students are going to read.

Common Core is nothing more than guidelines of what concepts need to be taught in each grade.  Every school will implement it differently and use different books and teaching aides to get there.

stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My 1st grader's teacher told us she has to read to the children for 45 minutes about science topics. It's required that it be taught that way. At least, that's what she said.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Another myth is that common core is forcing teachers to read all of these horrible books to our children.  When in fact, common core doesn't dictate excatly how the material is taught.  It is up to the individual schools to determine exactly how to implement the concepts and choose which books the students are going to read.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

It may be required of her, by the SCHOOL but not by Common Core.  I'm part of a team that has been working on implementing Common Core into our school for the past few years.

Quoting stephiebugg:

My 1st grader's teacher told us she has to read to the children for 45 minutes about science topics. It's required that it be taught that way. At least, that's what she said.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Another myth is that common core is forcing teachers to read all of these horrible books to our children.  When in fact, common core doesn't dictate excatly how the material is taught.  It is up to the individual schools to determine exactly how to implement the concepts and choose which books the students are going to read.

Jenn8604
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I've read on it. They aren't seeming to take in special needs or gifted children in it. they need to be taught totally different and not the same as every child across the country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The school district made the switch to Common Core this year, so it's all new to the teachers. My daughter's teacher in kindergarten last year tried to better prep the kids for it, as it is making the curriculum more difficult. Her 1st grade teacher taught various grades and said she recognizes this lesson plan as the one she taught her 2nd graders years ago. It is expected that kindergartners wil know 96 sight words before they step foot in the classroom, and yet, the district doesn't provide PreK for all the students. The district PreK can only take 108 kids, which is a little less than 1/2 of the students who apply. It's a lottery system, and while it benefits the kids who get in, there are still kids who go to kindergarten NOT knowing these sight words (and more I'm sure) simply because they didn't get into PreK or because their parents weren't aware the children needed to know the material. If my 3 year old doesn't get into PreK I am fortunate enough to work part time so I can teach her myself, but there are many families in the area who are headed by parents who work varying shifts, single parents who work 2 jobs and other situations where the parents aren't able to teach their children at home. Not everyone can afford preschool.

I'm not sure I'm for or against it, exactly. I wish her teacher seemed less apprehensive about it. I think that's what set me on edge, was seeing the teacher so uneasy about the upcoming year. I want my daughter to succeed, of course. I want her to do well and not be discouraged. I'm hoping things will improve for her after a few more weeks. School just started for us in the beginning of September.

Quoting steelcrazy:

It may be required of her, by the SCHOOL but not by Common Core.  I'm part of a team that has been working on implementing Common Core into our school for the past few years.

Quoting stephiebugg:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)